Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cervical spine injury question
tmp the MRI done in August says mild to moderate, the MRI done in December says moderate.
Should the 2nd opinion be also with a neurosurgeon?

Jayne a collar has not been suggested. When I return to the neurosurgeon next week I will talk to him about the options you, Body Builder and the others on this board have suggested.

According to the nurse and the surgery center when I had the the TKR my chart listed I have a high tolerance for pain and a low tolerance for medication.

I guess I need to ask the doctor what to expect if I don't have the surgery, then what to expect if I do have the surgery.

This is a great thread with lots of good information.

(12-31-2010, 08:16 PM)Bummer Knees Wrote: tmp I ahve a moderate herniation with pressure on the cord and displaced nerve root at C5-6.
Don't know if that is the same as cord impingemention.

I do trust my doctor, just the surgery scares me. My father has the same surgery with major complications from the surgery.

BK, we have had a conversation in the past about pressure on the spinal cord.

So, what did the dr. say when you asked him "how long can pressure be applied to the spinal cord before it is past the point that it will not regenerate (recover)"?????

8-05, Micro laminectomy/disectomy. 10-05 lumbar fusion L5-S1. 2-07 exploritory surgery. 12-07 medical implant, Spinal Cord Stimulator. now receiving SSDI. After going back to school, I received my degree as a mechanical engineer. What can I say, it was the only way I had to beat the system. 

He really did not answer that question, all he said was, "It will continue to get worse"

Bummer I would always want a Neurosurgeon other an Ortho but that is my opinion. The second opinion can be with either but when it comes down to the actual surgery I would want a Neuro
It does sound like you will be needing the surgery from what you posted. I think now it's a matter of when and by who

Good luck and I hope you find the answers you are looking for
(12-31-2010, 09:03 PM)jayne Wrote: Bummer have they tried putting a hard collar on you?it is strange as hell the hear your neck snap crackle and pop when you move it some times......and nothing changes......I very seldom ever drive a wrong turn on the neck and a instant migrain that can bring me to my knees in quivering mess....that no pain med can fix its just traction and knockout shots to calm the nerves.....on the other hand I have a pain tolerance that is out of this world......according to my poditrist.....just need extra meds for 2 days....
Although it has been a couple of years since my last surgery I too have been wearing a collar. My PM doc had me wear a soft collar to bed. I did that for several months but didn't find it helping. I now wear it around the house while watching TV and while on the computer. I think this is helping somewhat

Take Care and Be Well
Tom

Bummer have you or TPM done any research on the replacement disc rather than the fusion
........I love cats, I just cant eat a whole one by myself......

Hello Jayne
For me at the time the artificial disc was not approved the the C spine. Once it was approved I think it was for 1 disc only
I'm sure things have changed by now but having a fusion already I would not be a candidate. I least that's what I think I read
Take Care and Be Well
Tom

since neither of us fused could we still be candidates?
........I love cats, I just cant eat a whole one by myself......

(01-01-2011, 02:39 PM)jayne Wrote: since neither of us fused could we still be candidates?

Definitely not for me Jayne. I believe my first two discs fused. It is only the last surgery where fusion didn't happen. Plus I wouldn't feel confident with someone going back in there Sad

Take Care and Be Well
Tom

Jayne the surgeon did say I would have a replacement disc as well as fusion.

We just got back from the trip to Nebraska, I don't think I will be making any more road trips for a while. Yesterday was a difficult pain day, had to stop every 50 miles or so. Today I did a little better traveling.

Bronco I don't know how you did the traveling with your job and the injuries you have!

I have to be at the medical center in the morning for a NCT/EMG on the right arm, o joy!

Hey BK, I hope all as well.

I just thought I would check in and see how the "emg" went???? Just a thought, did you have an emg done before??? I am thinking (which can be scarey) That if you had one before and you just had one. Maybe you can compare the results and see whats going on with the nerve. Meaning, if it is getting better, worse, or no change. Just a thought.
8-05, Micro laminectomy/disectomy. 10-05 lumbar fusion L5-S1. 2-07 exploritory surgery. 12-07 medical implant, Spinal Cord Stimulator. now receiving SSDI. After going back to school, I received my degree as a mechanical engineer. What can I say, it was the only way I had to beat the system. 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Will I get an impairment rating on multiple levels of my spine at MMI examination? Kappa6m3 3 683 07-16-2018, 09:34 AM
Last Post: Texas_IME
  Disability Rating question -lumbar spine 57% RootsGal 14 3,448 12-10-2017, 06:13 PM
Last Post: RootsGal
  Second Surgery (Cervical Spine) smith.daniel@centurylink.net 7 2,187 10-18-2017, 08:51 PM
Last Post: 1171
  Cervical Spine second surgery (What to expect?) smith.daniel@centurylink.net 2 803 07-30-2017, 11:17 AM
Last Post: California_Help
  QME on 10/25 for plantar fascia and lumbar spine injury jarimiah 10 4,082 10-29-2016, 11:02 PM
Last Post: California_Help
Question Extent of Injury question salvador5266 1 1,751 03-09-2016, 08:49 PM
Last Post: 1171
  Cervical injury people AQA 2 1,145 12-14-2015, 10:47 PM
Last Post: AQA
  Need advice on getting a spine stimulator implant tpm 12 7,155 08-02-2014, 03:55 PM
Last Post: tpm
  Quick question about Lumbar injury, rating, and state disability Frayed 17 23,759 10-29-2013, 07:26 PM
Last Post: Frayed
  Lumbar and Cervical Injury my2xyz 4 10,040 10-25-2013, 07:15 PM
Last Post: CheriLovesJesus7