Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cervical spine injury question
Thanks tmp!

I really don't want the surgery, just don't know what else I can do as the neurosurgeon says things will only get worse.

the scar is a badge...you will see people on the street and know they have had the same surgery....you will reach up and touch your scar when you see it....if you are brave you will ask them if they got any relief.....I have got only one yes answer.... many many nos.....when I spoke to my PCP he told me most who have this surgery will within 2-3 years will have the disc above and/or below go due to the weight of the fusion....I have no answers for you.....it is a personal thing..... talk to your PCP first he knows you better than any other Dr....
........I love cats, I just cant eat a whole one by myself......

Jayne what was the reason given why you needed the cervical surgery?

I asked my doctor what will happen if I don't have the surgery?
He didn't have much to say other than things will only get worse.

I needed a 2 leval fusion ...the surgeon said....since then I have lost the disc above and below the fusion.....I never took the time to ask my PCP what his opinion was....since then he has told me he would have advised agaisnt.....it just doesnt have a good outcome

Like Jayne, I had a 2 level fusion C5-7. A year went by and I had to have my C4-5 operated on (never fused). I now have my C3-4 with a small herniation as well as numerous Thoracic herniation's which my doc says could be a result of my twisting my back to compensate not turning my neck.
Think real hard before agreeing to surgery. If you have cord impingement you don't have much choice, you need to trust your doctor.
Take Care and Be Well
Tom

tmp I ahve a moderate herniation with pressure on the cord and displaced nerve root at C5-6.
Don't know if that is the same as cord impingemention.

I do trust my doctor, just the surgery scares me. My father has the same surgery with major complications from the surgery.

(12-31-2010, 08:16 PM)Bummer Knees Wrote: tmp I ahve a moderate herniation with pressure on the cord and displaced nerve root at C5-6.
Don't know if that is the same as cord impingemention.

I do trust my doctor, just the surgery scares me. My father has the same surgery with major complications from the surgery.

That is where the trust in your doctor comes in. Just how much pressure? If you haven't yet I would strongly suggest a second opinion. If nothing else it may ease your mind somewhat
Take Care and Be Well
Tom

Bummer have they tried putting a hard collar on you?it is strange as hell the hear your neck snap crackle and pop when you move it some times......and nothing changes......I very seldom ever drive a wrong turn on the neck and a instant migrain that can bring me to my knees in quivering mess....that no pain med can fix its just traction and knockout shots to calm the nerves.....on the other hand I have a pain tolerance that is out of this world......according to my poditrist.....just need extra meds for 2 days....

With all the talks of fusions, they say thats all I have left as a choice to relieve the pain..... My family dr advises me not to and my injury dr says we have tried everything they can. And states that it might not help with the pain.. Now the surgeon says there is no promise in all pain relief but says should see some...... With these odds I'm not going to have it done...

(12-31-2010, 09:41 PM)bronco54501 Wrote: With all the talks of fusions, they say thats all I have left as a choice to relieve the pain..... My family dr advises me not to and my injury dr says we have tried everything they can. And states that it might not help with the pain.. Now the surgeon says there is no promise in all pain relief but says should see some...... With these odds I'm not going to have it done...

That was the answer from my doc. It should help with the pain. My second opinion doc told me to never "expect" pain relief from an ACDF surgery.
Take Care and Be Well
Tom

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Will I get an impairment rating on multiple levels of my spine at MMI examination? Kappa6m3 3 919 07-16-2018, 09:34 AM
Last Post: Texas_IME
  Disability Rating question -lumbar spine 57% RootsGal 14 4,246 12-10-2017, 06:13 PM
Last Post: RootsGal
  Second Surgery (Cervical Spine) smith.daniel@centurylink.net 7 2,592 10-18-2017, 08:51 PM
Last Post: 1171
  Cervical Spine second surgery (What to expect?) smith.daniel@centurylink.net 2 1,000 07-30-2017, 11:17 AM
Last Post: California_Help
  QME on 10/25 for plantar fascia and lumbar spine injury jarimiah 10 4,607 10-29-2016, 11:02 PM
Last Post: California_Help
Question Extent of Injury question salvador5266 1 1,855 03-09-2016, 08:49 PM
Last Post: 1171
  Cervical injury people AQA 2 1,215 12-14-2015, 10:47 PM
Last Post: AQA
  Need advice on getting a spine stimulator implant tpm 12 7,618 08-02-2014, 03:55 PM
Last Post: tpm
  Quick question about Lumbar injury, rating, and state disability Frayed 17 24,739 10-29-2013, 07:26 PM
Last Post: Frayed
  Lumbar and Cervical Injury my2xyz 4 10,309 10-25-2013, 07:15 PM
Last Post: CheriLovesJesus7