Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
what is a Work Hardening Program?
This can be usefull in many ways...... If you are into much pain they will note your pain levels. When I had mine they noted my pain before I started and with each activity i did and at the end of the day... The dr will see this report and will decide if your able to actually go back to work... Like aqa said it just a series of things they do according to your job description. They do monitor you at first and observe you pain and your body mechanics.

I have always been a believer in NO PAIN NO GAIN.... and I pushed and pushed through the pain... BIG MISTAKE..... when your body tells you to stop...make sure you stop.. When it came time for check up with ortho he was not pleased with my exrays. It had set me back over a month while I healed..... then he pulled me from that establishment... If you cant perform durring hardening you must tell them its to painfull.

I still cant believe they are pushing you in that direction with your restrictions... Make sure you tell your dr of your pain......

First off, Don't worry about sounding stupid. The only way most of us have the knoweledge we do is because we were ignorant of WC and only learned about it the same way you are.

Second, Bronco has given some good advice. I suggest you push yourself, but not to far. Only you will know what your limit is. Use the work harding to find out what your true limits are. Be honest with yourself. This is probably the only chance you will get to find your true limits.

The work you did makes me think that you were working as an installer. Have you replaced any compressors??? If so, think about the body mechanics involved. Mention that to the PT individual and the work hardening personel.

Are you sure that you will be doing work hardening???? Have you done work conditioning??????? Just curious, what are your restrictions????? I am aware of your injury, but that all.
8-05, Micro laminectomy/disectomy. 10-05 lumbar fusion L5-S1. 2-07 exploritory surgery. 12-07 medical implant, Spinal Cord Stimulator. now receiving SSDI. After going back to school, I received my degree as a mechanical engineer. What can I say, it was the only way I had to beat the system. 

(12-30-2010, 12:08 AM)bronco54501 Wrote: This can be usefull in many ways...... If you are into much pain they will note your pain levels. When I had mine they noted my pain before I started and with each activity i did and at the end of the day... The dr will see this report and will decide if your able to actually go back to work... Like aqa said it just a series of things they do according to your job description. They do monitor you at first and observe you pain and your body mechanics.

I have always been a believer in NO PAIN NO GAIN.... and I pushed and pushed through the pain... BIG MISTAKE..... when your body tells you to stop...make sure you stop.. When it came time for check up with ortho he was not pleased with my exrays. It had set me back over a month while I healed..... then he pulled me from that establishment... If you cant perform durring hardening you must tell them its to painfull.

I still cant believe they are pushing you in that direction with your restrictions... Make sure you tell your dr of your pain......

Thanks for reply Bronco. I will definitely let them know about my pain and try not to push myself so hard as to injuring myself more. I just hope they don't try to work against me on this. I was in PT at on time and my physical therapist would ask me "how is your pain today on a scale from 1 to 10". I would tell him it was in a low number. He would put down on my report "symptoms improved today, added today's treatment well tolerated". seems he was going against me. what do you think?
(12-30-2010, 01:59 AM)AQA Wrote: First off, Don't worry about sounding stupid. The only way most of us have the knoweledge we do is because we were ignorant of WC and only learned about it the same way you are.

Second, Bronco has given some good advice. I suggest you push yourself, but not to far. Only you will know what your limit is. Use the work harding to find out what your true limits are. Be honest with yourself. This is probably the only chance you will get to find your true limits.

The work you did makes me think that you were working as an installer. Have you replaced any compressors??? If so, think about the body mechanics involved. Mention that to the PT individual and the work hardening personel.

Are you sure that you will be doing work hardening???? Have you done work conditioning??????? Just curious, what are your restrictions????? I am aware of your injury, but that all.

Thanks for the reply AQA. To answer your question, yes, I am an installer not a tech. I install the duct work, VAV units, huge air handlers etc. I use very heavy jacks, lifts and work with various type of heavy material and machinery. Its very commercial and Industrial. I am sure you are very familiar with what I'm talking about AQA Smile Now to answer your question about whether I am to start "work hardening" or "work conditioning" I am not sure. I think the ortho said work hardening. What is the difference?

Work conditioning is the same as work hardening except. Instead of doing it for four hours a day five days a week. You may do it for an hour or two every other day.

The theory is that, we crawl before we walk. We walk before we run. In my case, I did pt first, followed by work conditioning, followed by work harding. To go from pt to work hardening does not make sence to me. There needs to be some kind of a break in period. Atleast in my mind.
8-05, Micro laminectomy/disectomy. 10-05 lumbar fusion L5-S1. 2-07 exploritory surgery. 12-07 medical implant, Spinal Cord Stimulator. now receiving SSDI. After going back to school, I received my degree as a mechanical engineer. What can I say, it was the only way I had to beat the system. 

Yes AQA, seems that way. It sounds like they are not done in the right order. I just hope they will understand that I have different symptoms of pain and they have worsened. I have not seen this ortho in like two months to tell him about this. I have been waiting on spot in this program, so I finally start Tuesday and may I can tell him then...it could change the ball game huh?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Work Hardening HELP Livie 8 8,729 01-23-2013, 03:25 PM
Last Post: 1171
  QUICK HELP - work hardening constantpain 4 4,252 08-27-2012, 05:45 PM
Last Post: 1171
  DARS Program, Texas danitaw63 0 2,745 02-13-2012, 09:09 PM
Last Post: danitaw63
  Work Hardening canceled, Epidural ordered jamboski73 9 12,161 01-06-2011, 09:16 PM
Last Post: jamboski73
  Secret Santa Program red1030 2 2,630 12-04-2008, 12:10 PM
Last Post: red1030
  Work Hardening is OVER!! Lilly 12 10,226 11-09-2007, 03:33 PM
Last Post: Spring
  What comes after Voc Rehab & work hardening? Lilly 11 10,114 10-23-2007, 03:31 PM
Last Post: imsckofit
  program called pain solutions Lemon 14 6,406 10-17-2007, 07:35 AM
Last Post: WCisBS
  work hardening/ how 2 make MD appmt after MMI? Lilly 6 6,269 09-08-2007, 07:54 PM
Last Post: vickinat
  SSA Ticket to Work Program Bummer Knees 20 12,795 04-23-2007, 07:09 PM
Last Post: Babebahn