Workers Compensation - Workmans Comp Service Center

Current time: 05-28-2015, 01:57 PM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Important Notice: We have deployed some new anti-spam measures that have enabled us to once again allow registration with a simple email verification. However, please do not hesitate to report suspected spam threads should they arise.

Spammers take note - your posts, if successful, will not last here. Our community is vigilant in identifying and reporting spam posts for IMMEDIATE removal. Don't waste your time!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Workman's Comp Lower Back Injury
08-28-2010, 09:14 PM
Workman's Comp Lower Back Injury
Hi all,
Was hoping to get some answers on a injury that happened to me while working at Lowe's in Alabama.
While at work I injured my lower back that required me to be taken to the hospital by ambulance. While at the hospital they did x-rays and gave me pain pills and told me to go see a workmans comp doctor on Monday. (this happened on Friday) I went to work in excrutiating pain. They set up for me to see a doctor that day. While at the doctor, I was told that I had spondylolisthesis, probably from birth and I had injured this area. (L4) I was seen in this clinic for 3 wks. given toridol, muscle relaxers, & percocets. After the 3rd week they referred me to a neurosurgeon. When I got to the neurosurgeon, he looked at the MRI, stated that I had a stress fracture in L4, gave me Percocets and set up for an epidural. He also told me that he would like to do a series of 3 epidurals, after 2 coming back to see him to see how the progress was where we could see what direction we needed to go.I, in the meantime retained an attorney because I wasn't comfortable tackling this on my on. The epidural was done last week. The following day the Case Manager for Lowe's called to see how it went. I told her that I was still in alot of pain but it was to be expected. I stated that I was being positive about the epidurals as I in my early 50's did not want to have a back surgery. She said that I needed to tell the doctor that the epidural made me feel at least 50% better or her firm would not approve another epidural. I asked her if I didn't feel 50% better was she telling me that I would not get approval for the 2nd epidural unless I stated this. She said yes. I found this very strange. If I am not well why would she ask me to not be truthfull as to my pain and the success of the 1st proceedure? The dr. has stated that even though this came from an underlaying condition, it was a WC issue because I had injured an area that had been there from birth.

Also, is this injury worth anything as I am uncertain my ability to return to work. They will not take me back with a load of restrictions on me, or if I elect employment elsewhere, I want be able to perform duties required with my back the way it is.

Any help on this issue will be appreciated.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-28-2010, 09:27 PM
RE: Workman's Comp Lower Back Injury
First off, never lie. You are in a system you know little to nothing about. Further more, how is a dr. to treat you properly if you lie to the dr.????????

The responce you give to the dr. is part of the diagnostics. If the injection does not work, then the dr. knows that he/she must try something else. Drs. use the most concervative measures first and go from there. Meaning, why give someone morphine when asprine will work??????

There are quite a few people here with lower back injuries. Some are minor and some are major. Back injuries can be disableing.

8-05, Micro laminectomy/disectomy. 10-05 lumbar fusion L5-S1. 2-07 exploritory surgery. 12-07 medical implant, Spinal Cord Stimulator. now receiving SSDI. Jesus died for our sins. Soilders died for our freedom.
08-28-2010, 09:59 PM
I believe in being honest always with any doctor.

For your other questions, being so very soon in your case, and not knowing the outcome of what will take place with your injury right now, makes it hard to be thinking so far in advance, but it is good of you also to be thinking of your future.

How much is it worth, is like asking how much banana's will be costing next year, no one can ever answer that, as your medical makes the settlement.

Reply's are intended solely for informational purposes. They are based on personal opinions, experience, or research and are "not to be taken as fact or legal advice", otherwise, always consult an attorney or a doctor.
08-28-2010, 10:09 PM
you must always be up front and honest.....we cannot stress this to you enough.....it is the single worst thing you can do to screw yourself up

........I love cats, I just cant eat a whole one by myself......
08-29-2010, 12:06 PM
do not lie if the injections dont work they dont work no need to put your body through all that if it does not help ,so far in my experience even if they dont help they are gonna keep trying at least a couple of each to see if you get any relief . ive had four epidurrals and a facet injections bilaterally at two levels l4l5-l5s1 still without any success and they still wanna try one more facet block ! just remember even if they help the pain in your back there are other parts of the body they will effect negatively! good luck this stuff isn't fun and eventually they will find something to alleviate SOME pain!
08-29-2010, 12:30 PM
Read through and think what everyone has told you, they are very correct and have been in your situation, never tell your dr false info, he is there to make you better, maybe not completely... I have had 8 injections so far between si joint up to the facets of L4, 2 had given me 50% ,but were short lived and the rest just caused more pain in getting them... No matter what an mri shows, it does not mean thats where your pain generator is comming from.... Hang in there it is a slow and long path you are entering with wc.... Knowledge your self, is the key to understanding, ask questions here and read away... We all try to help as much as we can................Bronco
08-29-2010, 07:56 PM
Always be up front with your doctor because he has to know what is working for you and what is not. If you give him reason to not believe you then how can he treat you? I believe my doctor has gone more then the extra mile for me because I have always told him the truth. Yes they try many different things first because you can do more harm them good if you do the wrong thing for you. It can be a long road to find out what your problem is and what to do for it, and it can get to you but hang in there and be honest and I'm sure they will help you as much as they can.
09-01-2010, 11:47 PM
I agree, how can anyone lie to their trating doctor, and then expect that doctor to treat you without knowing if what was given to you really helped or not.

Reply's are intended solely for informational purposes. They are based on personal opinions, experience, or research and are "not to be taken as fact or legal advice", otherwise, always consult an attorney or a doctor.
09-05-2010, 10:30 PM
Back problems are tricky. Trust me on this one. As a nurse and a patient with a severe back injury, I can tell you to always be honest and up front. If it helps, fantastic, if not, then you eed to let them kwow. You back is the core of your body. Without it, your body is not near what it used to be. Take of it so it can take care of you!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  lower lubar fuse maxzillia 1 263 05-11-2015 11:23 AM
Last Post: 1171
  Back injury LPallet 2 481 04-23-2015 02:08 PM
Last Post: dolphins
  Back Injury - Georgia Employer is forcing me to return to full duty nitto85 1 475 04-04-2015 08:07 PM
  Back Injury...pls help aceiam 8 623 04-02-2015 09:07 PM
Last Post: aceiam
Cool Workman's Comp Injury majsflas 4 721 03-05-2015 11:19 PM
Last Post: majsflas
  can i get a second surgery from work comp due to re-injury during post -op linemanmjk 4 862 02-24-2015 12:29 AM
Last Post: linemanmjk
  Injury while out on work comp Ny state chris T 1 759 12-07-2014 12:51 PM
  Workman's comp pay reduced/terminated cjeanette 7 1,235 11-08-2014 10:59 PM
Last Post: California_Help
  Back Injury Workers Comp. tjones288 9 6,236 09-12-2014 01:59 PM
Last Post: Robby
  do you need to pay back workmans comp? ameliayob 8 1,793 06-21-2014 03:59 PM
Last Post: Timothy Belt