Workers Compensation - Workmans Comp Service Center

Current time: 04-18-2015, 04:46 AM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Important Notice: We have deployed some new anti-spam measures that have enabled us to once again allow registration with a simple email verification. However, please do not hesitate to report suspected spam threads should they arise.

Spammers take note - your posts, if successful, will not last here. Our community is vigilant in identifying and reporting spam posts for IMMEDIATE removal. Don't waste your time!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Learned something interesting about high blood pressure and FCE
07-15-2010, 01:28 PM
Question Learned something interesting about high blood pressure and FCE
Hi, it's Lefty from Colorado and good news. I finally found where to go to have a computerized FCE done...(the first one wasn't computerized)! There was something in what this new intake person said to me about my first FCE. She asked if I had high blood pressure, and if it was under control? I said yes, I have high BP, and that my primary doc just changed the medication.

She asked if I knew what my BP reading were on the first FCE? I told her the first one was high...170/90, and it only got worst. Now this is where the strangeness comes into play. According to the intake person, when they take your blood pressure and it is found to be high, they will NOT do the test until it is at least 145/75 or 145/90, and if you have high blood pressure it must be first cleared by your doctor before you to do this test. Because of the safety risk factors, and encase you have an event.
This is standard practice.

Will, as far as the safety issues and my high blood pressure number did not prevent the first tech from going ahead with the test, even after I told her I had a really bad headache. My BP numbers continued to climb during the test but she didn't stop the test. At the end of my test she said, "it's a good thing were are done because your BP is 190/113.

My question is this. Before I pay for the second FCE, should I talk to the W/C Pain doc about this test, and see if he would give me a referral for a second one. I had so many "Invalids on that test...even when it came to my BP...go figure?

Injury date 11/2008; left upper extremity; CRPS; bilateral cubital tunnel syndrome; carpal tunnel syndrome.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-15-2010, 01:33 PM (This post was last modified: 07-15-2010 01:42 PM by freebird.)
RE: Learned something interesting about high blood pressure and FCE
lefty Wrote:Hi, it's Lefty from Colorado and good news. I finally found where to go to have a computerized FCE done...(the first one wasn't computerized)! There was something in what this new intake person said to me about my first FCE. She asked if I had high blood pressure, and if it was under control? I said yes, I have high BP, and that my primary doc just changed the medication.

She asked if I knew what my BP reading were on the first FCE? I told her the first one was high...170/90, and it only got worst. Now this is where the strangeness comes into play. According to the intake person, when they take your blood pressure and it is found to be high, they will NOT do the test until it is at least 145/75 or 145/90, and if you have high blood pressure it must be first cleared by your doctor before you to do this test. Because of the safety risk factors, and encase you have an event.

Will, as far as the safety issues and my high blood pressure number did not prevent the first tech from going ahead with the test, even after I told her I had a really bad headache. My BP numbers continued to climb during the test but she didn't stop the test. At the end of my test she said, "it's a good thing were are done because your BP is 190/113.

My question is this. Before I pay for the second FCE, should I talk to the W/C Pain doc about this test, and see if he would give me a referral for a second one. I had so many "Invalids on that test...even when it came to my BP...go figure?

Did your FCE result say your were malingering? I realize some have had issues with there FCE results but most who take a FCE to go back into the workforce have no issues.

Invalids meaning?

Also, your heart rate is looked at during a FCE and your "character" is also judged. They are looking for fakers no doubt.....

2011 Lexus Convertible
07-15-2010, 01:35 PM (This post was last modified: 07-15-2010 01:36 PM by Bad Boy Bad Boy.)
If I remember correctly, I had to get a medical release also. Had to have the doctor or surgeon write a script for the FCE. And to make things correct, the blood pressure monitoring works different from what you said here. It is said if you BP goes up, over a certain percentage from the time you start the task, they must stop at such point, have you sit or lay down, till it goes back down to about where you started out from, and start the task again, or another task. That is how it works. A Computerized FCE, will catch all this much eailer then a human, and stop you real quick. I find it way more better for results also.

Reply's are intended solely for informational purposes. They are based on personal opinions, experience, or research and are "not to be taken as fact or legal advice", otherwise, always consult an attorney or a doctor.
07-15-2010, 01:39 PM (This post was last modified: 07-15-2010 01:41 PM by Bad Boy Bad Boy.)
FreeBird the non computerized FCE stated;

((( Had a non computerized Functional Capacity Evaluation done. Findings were outrageoussay the least. Said "Poor Effort.")))

http://www.workerscompensation.com/forum...?tid=10658

Reply's are intended solely for informational purposes. They are based on personal opinions, experience, or research and are "not to be taken as fact or legal advice", otherwise, always consult an attorney or a doctor.
07-15-2010, 01:54 PM
Well one outcome of high blood pressure on an FCe would be you have a cranial bleed and die. When it gets amended to our claim your heirs will collect a windfall.

....always looking for the silver lining
07-15-2010, 02:17 PM
Thanks Bad Boy, I find that very interesting. The tester never stop the test because of my BP. It was, "Oh you will get a break and a little while." My BP never came back down even after taking more medication when I went home. Also told her I had ringing in my ear, but this made no never mind to her, it was business as usual.

Bad Boy Bad Boy Wrote:If I remember correctly, I had to get a medical release also. Had to have the doctor or surgeon write a script for the FCE. And to make things correct, the blood pressure monitoring works different from what you said here. It is said if you BP goes up, over a certain percentage from the time you start the task, they must stop at such point, have you sit or lay down, till it goes back down to about where you started out from, and start the task again, or another task. That is how it works. A Computerized FCE, will catch all this much eailer then a human, and stop you real quick. I find it way more better for results also.

Injury date 11/2008; left upper extremity; CRPS; bilateral cubital tunnel syndrome; carpal tunnel syndrome.
07-15-2010, 02:21 PM
Just so I understand you currently. Are you saying that your non-computerized test read "Poor Effect?"
Lefty

Bad Boy Bad Boy Wrote:FreeBird the non computerized FCE stated;

((( Had a non computerized Functional Capacity Evaluation done. Findings were outrageoussay the least. Said "Poor Effort.")))

http://www.workerscompensation.com/forum...?tid=10658

07-15-2010, 02:53 PM
freebird Wrote:
lefty Wrote:Hi, it's Lefty from Colorado and good news. I finally found where to go to have a computerized FCE done...(the first one wasn't computerized)! There was something in what this new intake person said to me about my first FCE. She asked if I had high blood pressure, and if it was under control? I said yes, I have high BP, and that my primary doc just changed the medication.

Did your FCE result say your were malingering? I realize some have had issues with there FCE results but most who take a FCE to go back into the workforce have no issues.

Invalids meaning?

Also, your heart rate is looked at during a FCE and your "character" is also judged. They are looking for fakers no doubt.....

Hi, and thank you for responding, God bless.

I don't remember if the word "Malingering was used on not. Second, at my age 51, and having had high hopes of entering my job's school of Radiology, to further my education in Ultra Sound. Being scored as only able to do a sit down job is not in the cards. Either way, I will continue my education. My heart rate fluctuated somewhere around 80's, 90's, and high 100rds,. My Cardiologist had fashioned me with a cardiac event monitor to wear, not for that test but because I had a short stay in the hospital for T wave depression, evaluation. Now, I am just asking... but is it possible a person's BP and HR, can be considered invalid...even when they clearly have heart problems, and sever chronic hypertension? All this was made known to her prior to the start of the test. But that's water under the bridge, I really need a second test. Don't you agree?

07-15-2010, 03:02 PM
Your Attorney should contest the FCE that was done by a Human. Showing lack of interest to your health and well being. No it wasn't business as usual. I was lack of interest to you. Didn't they have the monitor straped across your chest?

07-15-2010, 03:06 PM
Bad Boy Bad Boy Wrote:Your Attorney should contest the FCE that was done by a Human. Showing lack of interest to your health and well being. No it wasn't business as usual. I was lack of interest to you. Didn't they have the monitor straped across your chest?

As a matter of fact Bad Boy, she did!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Interesting legal decision in Florida 1171 15 1,400 01-16-2015 12:27 PM
Last Post: 1171
  WC denied settlement bc setaside is too high! Lenaye 2 997 11-20-2013 10:21 AM
Last Post: Manley2
  An interesting work related auto accident !! RITCHIE 4 2,373 07-11-2013 07:45 PM
Last Post: jayne
  Interesting what attorney said about deposition Backache1217 0 1,033 06-19-2013 12:15 AM
Last Post: Backache1217
  Interesting info regarding Impairment versus disability Wink 4 6,084 01-18-2011 03:10 PM
Last Post: MrsMitch
  Learned my employment has been terminated Bummer Knees 8 5,241 12-06-2010 07:53 PM
Last Post: bodybuilder1958
  decreased blood flow to injured arm Lilly 13 5,055 06-22-2009 11:14 AM
Last Post: capricorn
  employee pressure after returning to work - attorney? jptrott65 13 7,079 04-18-2009 02:06 PM
Last Post: redlotus
  Help With Pressure From WC Case Manager redlotus 14 6,990 04-17-2009 06:10 PM
Last Post: Steph1966
  Interesting read: when the tests are wrong. Cycler 4 2,893 10-15-2008 03:39 PM
Last Post: sillyme