Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Skin cancer & scar tissue
I saw the dermatologist today for a recheck of the skin cancer.

In 2009 I had 3 surgeries for skin cancer, and I return to the doctor every 6 months.

I returned to the doctor today earlier then normal because I noticed a change in appearance in the area where a tumor was earlier removed.

After examining the skin the doctor told me, “Your body makes excess scar tissue and it changes the appearance of a scar" fortunatly the skin cancer has not returned!

Guess I was a little surprised the doctor could tell this by looking at a scar, and suprised how scar tissue effects the body.

I find it had to believe a doctor can say excessive scar tissue takes place in a person's body from just a very small area. I have scars that have changed also. Never have I been told that before. When ever a person gets cut, there will be some scar tissue. As to how the person takes care of the area depends on the amount. Now there are some cases where scar tissue can form very repidly, and then be said to become excessive. But excessive is extreme to say since this was 2 years ago, and would have been noticed the first 6 months, not something then just recently viewed.
Reply's are intended solely for informational purposes. They are based on personal opinions, experience, or research and are "not to be taken as fact or legal advice", otherwise, always consult an attorney or a doctor.

Bad Boy I noticed the change in the appearance of the scar 6 months ago.

I wasn't able to get into the doctor until this week.

I had regular visits with this doctor up until last summer, at each the visits photographs were taken.

I had one very large tumor removed on the left side, I traveled out of state to a surgeon in KS City, Mi. The other tumor was taken care of at the local office, by out patient surgery.

I was also suprised by the above statement but remember this is a dermotologist.
Records were reviewed and the exam took place before the statement was made.

Bummer, I understand what your saying. What I am saying I find this a little hard to believe that now, or even 6 months ago, which is then 1 1/2 years later all the sudden it is said there is excessive scar tissue and the body creates it too much excessive scar tissue 1 1/2 years later.

Excessive scar tissue, is noticed within the first few months, mostly when in your case the scar is more visible, and not hidden such as in a spinal operation, when deep cuts are made.

But, also, a Dermatologist would even know better, as their well trained in this field.

It is also strange you were not shown on how to break-up surface scar tissue, as this is a very easy lesson to show anyone. Even though, it was said back 2 years ago, on what to do with surface scars and scar tissue issues. I would assume this wasn't done then.

If you ask me, I think this leading in a different direction though.

Such as your preparing to say NO to any surgery that may be seen in the future. Therefore making for a excuse soon to be seen....

Why, because, excessive scar tissue just doesn't show up 1 1/2 years later, or 2 years later. This is BS...
Reply's are intended solely for informational purposes. They are based on personal opinions, experience, or research and are "not to be taken as fact or legal advice", otherwise, always consult an attorney or a doctor.

After My Microdiscectomy/Laminectomy I was Well on the Road to a Da*n good Recovery, PT 3 Times a Week, and I was Walking 3 Miles a Day on the Bike Trail. Then I started Noticing More Pain, to a Point that I couldn't Walk the Trails anymore, and the Therapist Stopped the PT and sent Me back to My Surgeon. This Whole Scenario was over an 8-10 Week Period.The MRI that Followed Showed the Scar Tissue, and the S1 Nerve Root that was Crushed now Wrapped in Scar Tissue, and also filled in where They took Half of My disc, thus Basically Fusing My Lower spine and S1 Nerve. Scar Tissue has grown at a Slower Rate Since, and the Arthritis has taken Over due to Lack of Movement! It Surely can be He**, and cause Many Problems in the Human Body!!Wink

I am Glad for You that the Cancer hasn't Returned Bummer!
I Wish Everyone in the World would Take just One Minute to Take a Deep Breath and Look at the Wonders around Them. Too Much Time caught Up in the Moment can Cause Us to Miss soo Much that is Good, and given Us Daily! We are just too Busy to See!

Bad Boy I 've had problems with scar tissue with every surgery I have had.
I still do the scr tissue massage on the carpal tunnel, and the therapist still works on the scar tissue at every session.

I am not saying I didn't have scar tissue a year ago, what I am saying is the appearance of this surgery site has changed within the last 6 months.
I did not have a clue the change was in part due to scar tissue.

The area where the other tumor was removed continues to change in appearance and the doctor says that is normal.

I am learning scar tissue is an issue for me when it comes to surgery.

No, I don't like where this is going, I've had 3 doctors suggest fusion of L4-5.
I don't want back surgery knowing I have a problem with scar tissue.

Question: With an ESI; the area where the needle in inserted will this cause scar tissue?

Only your doctor can best give that answer. But, I doubt any ESI will cause scar tissue.

I see the wc doctor in two weeks and will ask him then as he suggested one.

Is work comp Insurance still sending you a TTD check?

Funny you should ask, I received my first TTD check yesterday, restarted April 30th.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Fighting cancer dusty boy 12 4,755 09-13-2017, 06:46 PM
Last Post: dusty boy
  cancer survivors day Manley2 3 1,513 06-06-2014, 10:02 PM
Last Post: Scooter123
  A question about scar tissue Bummer Knees 8 4,956 12-17-2013, 08:56 PM
Last Post: Bummer Knees
  diagnosed with tissue laxity and.... bodybuilder1958 3 3,575 09-05-2012, 08:27 PM
Last Post: bodybuilder1958
  Scar tissue with the cervical surgery and a ? Bummer Knees 21 17,751 08-30-2011, 03:12 PM
  A question on scar tissue & ears Bummer Knees 12 17,523 01-08-2010, 02:47 PM
Last Post: Still in Limbo
  Recheck of skin cancer Bummer Knees 6 2,993 10-07-2009, 11:20 PM
Last Post: red1030
  Update on skin cancer Bummer Knees 7 4,005 03-06-2009, 03:56 PM
Last Post: buildergirl1973
  Cancer Diagnosis Bummer Knees 16 7,382 11-20-2008, 02:21 PM
Last Post: jimmyo1
  Complications from scar tissue Bummer Knees 46 25,053 07-26-2008, 09:03 PM