Workers Compensation - Workmans Comp Service Center

Current time: 04-19-2015, 12:35 AM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Important Notice: We have deployed some new anti-spam measures that have enabled us to once again allow registration with a simple email verification. However, please do not hesitate to report suspected spam threads should they arise.

Spammers take note - your posts, if successful, will not last here. Our community is vigilant in identifying and reporting spam posts for IMMEDIATE removal. Don't waste your time!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
disability rating
05-11-2010, 04:35 PM
disability rating
Well its been a long time,but i had surgery on L shoulder Feb 1 this year.Well after pt and still pain and spasms ,my Dr told me he believes that shoulder has come as far as its gonna.With that being said he believes my PD will be 6-8 % just for that shoulder and now wants to do the right one.What does that all mean, do they figure each part and do a Whole body rating.I ask because beside other shoulder,still have cervical,thoriac,and herniated disc in lumbar that sits on my S1 nerve.Thank you.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-11-2010, 05:03 PM (This post was last modified: 05-11-2010 05:09 PM by 1171.)
RE: disability rating
yes the whole body is made up of individual units.
they rate each injured unit and use the a rating formula for combining into a whole body %.
the greater the rating the more weeks PD is paid.
05-11-2010, 05:26 PM
Hey, if they can't fix the one shoulder, you mean your going to let them try on the other shoulder?

And the rating is some what useless if you have several injured body parts.

Reply's are intended solely for informational purposes. They are based on personal opinions, experience, or research and are "not to be taken as fact or legal advice", otherwise, always consult an attorney or a doctor.
05-17-2010, 02:32 PM (This post was last modified: 05-17-2010 02:34 PM by sontaysyw.)
Bad Boy Bad Boy Wrote:Hey, if they can't fix the one shoulder, you mean your going to let them try on the other shoulder?

And the rating is some what useless if you have several injured body parts.

They operated on the one with less damage and the one that i'm waiting on has torn rotor cuff tear and other stuff going on. I guess it makes since not to continue but i'm scared if I don't get it now that it will count against me,like I don't want to get well.Plus I kinda already made up my mind no surgery on my neck unless extremly necessary sure that will be a fight.The herniated disc in my back I might have to due to the pain,stiffness,immobility.I'm only 37 with 4 kids at home.Thanks for any advice or comments that any of you might feel that will help.Thanks!P.s my mother in law just had neck and spinal fusion she ended up in a nursing home!She is 62 ,but still scary
05-17-2010, 03:53 PM
I think what I was saying, if you had surgery on this one shoulder, that you stated isn't as bad as the other, and your hurting still in pain (I don't know if worse or better though) is why then allow the same surgeon to go into the other shoulder? Maybe get a second or 3rd opinion first. Maybe seek another surgeon. But, like I said I don't know if the shoulder operated on is worse, or is it better. Then only you can decide if you wish the same surgeon or not.

What is going on with your Cervical Spine (neck)? I remember I was Miss Diag when I was injured. As I had severe shoulder pain that went with it. The shoulder pain, was so great, I didn't really feel the import other issues. So, I did seek a second opinion. Oh, I was so glad too. For if I didn't, they would of done surgery on my shoulder, that I didn't need. My pain was coming from the Cervical area. I had 3 blown Disc at that time. This was my first injury and yes I did return to full duty work also. And you know, right out of the surgery recovery room, I was almost Pain free, felt like a millon bucks. medications were reduced with in weeks. And things went smooth with my surgery from there. Of course till I was re-injured that is.

Reply's are intended solely for informational purposes. They are based on personal opinions, experience, or research and are "not to be taken as fact or legal advice", otherwise, always consult an attorney or a doctor.
05-17-2010, 04:26 PM
each part is rated alone for a limb and converted into a whole person impairment. All the whole person impairments are then combined ( not added) referencing a table of values for one final number. Shoulder are generally about a 6 %.

sontaysyw Wrote:Well its been a long time,but i had surgery on L shoulder Feb 1 this year.Well after pt and still pain and spasms ,my Dr told me he believes that shoulder has come as far as its gonna.With that being said he believes my PD will be 6-8 % just for that shoulder and now wants to do the right one.What does that all mean, do they figure each part and do a Whole body rating.I ask because beside other shoulder,still have cervical,thoriac,and herniated disc in lumbar that sits on my S1 nerve.Thank you.
05-17-2010, 04:34 PM
Cycler that 6% is that Body Part, or is that Whole Body then?

05-17-2010, 05:00 PM
Figure 6% whole person per limb and if both involved it would be a 19 % altogether, not 12 %. An interesting source of error in physicians utilizing the AMA Guides 4th and 4th editions ( I'm not up on the 6th yet ) for shoulder evaluations is failure to utilize all the available impairment assessments that the patients is entitled to. Dr. Chris Brigham has demonstrated that upwards of 85 % of all IME's for impairment percentage are incorrect, usually too high but with shoulders, too low, examiners not also addressing the strength deficit in addition to the range ofd motion loss.

Bad Boy Bad Boy Wrote:Cycler that 6% is that Body Part, or is that Whole Body then?
05-17-2010, 05:22 PM
Thanks Cycler, I knew you had that information...

05-18-2010, 01:57 PM
Thanks for all the info.The Dr.said the L shoulder would get better but was like watching grass grow.His words.My husband asked me a good question if i wasn't on my meds would my pain be worse and answer is yes!I told my Dr. that my strength in that shoulder had not come back ,and also my Pt was asked to continue but was denied.So as far as my neck retrolithesis in 3 disc wit a bulging one.thoriac spine has a couple of bulging disc,and L5 disc is sitting on S1 nerve so I have the whole shooting pain and numbness with lots of spasms whole back..Lots of body parts involved so I guess I'm just in limbo until my IME in Sept. appointment made in Feb.Sad

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  If your disability rating is raised????? Scaffoldrider 2 399 03-04-2015 01:44 AM
Last Post: Scaffoldrider
  Quick question about Lumbar injury, rating, and state disability Frayed 17 7,125 10-29-2013 07:26 PM
Last Post: Frayed
  Permanent disability rating and settlement jennifernd 8 13,353 06-20-2013 07:01 PM
Last Post: leecarter
  Texas DD rating versus RME rating danitaw63 3 6,842 11-26-2011 02:12 PM
Last Post: 1171
  Given Disability rating 48%?? allyerick 14 7,317 09-11-2010 11:57 PM
Last Post: AQA
  wc disability/social security disability coach 5 11,068 07-12-2008 07:44 AM
Last Post: Lilly
  80% Disability Rating JRE 11 6,270 01-25-2008 10:51 AM
Last Post: Bad Boy Bad Boy
  Can IC settle without a disability rating? Lilly 5 4,816 12-19-2007 12:01 PM
Last Post: punk