Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rot-Ro, Company Secrets - I.D. Theft
WoW, I just wonder how many Companies really know, how someone could simply steal important documents and such. Well yes, it's in there Coping Machines. Now who would think there is a Hard drive in coping machines. The software to read the hard drive is offered free over the internet also. Tongue I whole new twist to what could become a new way of I.D. theft also....RolleyesShy

And here is the information on it;

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=6...ontentBody
Reply's are intended solely for informational purposes. They are based on personal opinions, experience, or research and are "not to be taken as fact or legal advice", otherwise, always consult an attorney or a doctor.

there is an option on most copiers to delete the stored image after making the copies.
some companies make it the default on all their copier installations.
but other then thru the tech there is no way for an individual user to know if their images are still on the drive after they leave the machine.
if you use public machines (library, schools, copy centers, etc. )you should question the owner/operator about their setting before using it for sensitive documents.
small home/business machines don't have hard drives and it's usually not a problem when you have to recycle them.
Reminder :
........Each state has their own comp system; POST YOUR STATE to get accurate information. Use the search feature to find information from similar questions.
THANKS FOR POSTING.

1171 Do you know how easy it would be for me to walk into an office and simply have a simple uniform on, and state I'm there to Maintain there Copy Machine, and how many people would just say okay, it is right over there. Then take the required 30 minutes if that, and simply switch out the Hard Drive, then go plug that baby into my Pre-setup laptop, download it all, and off to the next office for another switch er-roo Tongue? Office people are never sure if their employer has companies set-up to Maintain these machines and will generally allow access to them without even questioning the person. I have seen it take place way too many times. Then if there is any I.D. that could be used from the copied Hard Drive, I am off to sell such information. A smart person doesn't use what they steal, they sell it off. And just think, all these people will standing around scratching their heads, wondering how that information got out.
Reply's are intended solely for informational purposes. They are based on personal opinions, experience, or research and are "not to be taken as fact or legal advice", otherwise, always consult an attorney or a doctor.

but it doesn't happen much so i'll save the paranoia for others.
I want to spend my time worring about something important like the asteroid that's about to hit earth (Rolleyes looking up at sky)
Reminder :
........Each state has their own comp system; POST YOUR STATE to get accurate information. Use the search feature to find information from similar questions.
THANKS FOR POSTING.

lol...is there really an astroid headed towards earth??..wonder if they can get a movie out about it before it gets here..
SETTLED!!!

Well, we had something very close to one on Earth Day this year, seen in Iowa.

http://www.cbc.ca/technology/story/2010/...hower.html

Well, if someone is looking at the hard drive of a specific copier. Then they are getting a great view of my tail end.
8-05, Micro laminectomy/disectomy. 10-05 lumbar fusion L5-S1. 2-07 exploritory surgery. 12-07 medical implant, Spinal Cord Stimulator. now receiving SSDI. After going back to school, I received my degree as a mechanical engineer. What can I say, it was the only way I had to beat the system. 

AQA Wrote:Well, if someone is looking at the hard drive of a specific copier. Then they are getting a great view of my tail end.

I would bet that would be something ugly for the world to see...!!!
Cervical Fusion 2003, c5-c6. Herniated and damaged Disc L1- L4-L5 S1. Lumbar Spinal Cord stimulator implant 09-2008. Cervical ACDF revision with hardware c4-c5-c6-c7 Sept 2009.
SSDI approved 3-2010. NOW OFFICIALY RETIRED

ewwwwwwwwww
........I love cats, I just cant eat a whole one by myself......

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  National Wage Theft Education Scholarship OwedUnpaidWages 2 2,702 04-08-2018, 06:08 PM
Last Post: Shadow
  Identity Theft Beware................... chrischris 11 3,492 06-07-2008, 07:13 AM
Last Post: vickinat