Workers Compensation - Workmans Comp Service Center

Current time: 05-28-2015, 10:02 PM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Important Notice: We have deployed some new anti-spam measures that have enabled us to once again allow registration with a simple email verification. However, please do not hesitate to report suspected spam threads should they arise.

Spammers take note - your posts, if successful, will not last here. Our community is vigilant in identifying and reporting spam posts for IMMEDIATE removal. Don't waste your time!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Nerve block for shoulder surgery?
04-25-2010, 07:05 PM
Nerve block for shoulder surgery?
I'm having shoulder surgery next week and the doctor informed me that they will be doing a nerve block prior to me being sedated. Needless to say I was not thrilled at the thought, as I have a horrible needle phobia. Took me two months to get up the nerve to do the arthrogram MRI.

Has anyone had this done? If so, how painful was it?

I told the doc about my fear and he did say it was up to me and I could decide the day of surgery. I'm just not sure if the anxiety would be worth it. the only reference I have is a nerve block that was done before I had my achilles tendon rebuilt 10 years ago. I would definitely never do that one again! I'm just hoping for some input :confused: Is it really worth it?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-27-2010, 12:00 AM
RE: Nerve block for shoulder surgery?
ONLY YOU know your pain level and WHAT you are willing to try for relief. If I hurt bad enough, I would do the procedure.

2011 Lexus Convertible
04-27-2010, 11:10 AM
i used to have a horrible fear of needles too but after this past 16 months all the poking and proding thats happened there really no biggie anymore..i didnt have the same procedure your haveing done but i did have 3 e.s.i's that were pretty much pain free

SETTLED!!!
04-27-2010, 12:26 PM
I had one for a massive rotator cuff tear (Dr's description) I hated the idea of having a dead arm but after it wore off and with the pain level, it was well worth it. If yours is a rotator cuff tear- I would recommend it. I have been through seven major surgeries and this was by far the worst of any of them for pain during recovery.
04-28-2010, 01:53 AM
Quote:i used to have a horrible fear of needles too but after this past 16 months all the poking and proding thats happened there really no biggie anymore.

Sure hope I get there tooSmile I have very small veins so it usually takes them 3 or more tries with a butterfly needle...and good luck getting an IV started Rolleyes

Quote:I had one for a massive rotator cuff tear (Dr's description) I hated the idea of having a dead arm but after it wore off and with the pain level, it was well worth it. If yours is a rotator cuff tear- I would recommend it. I have been through seven major surgeries and this was by far the worst of any of them for pain during recovery.

I too have a massive RC tear, labrum tear, bicep tendon tear and they will do a clavicle resection. Everyone I have talked to has also said it was by far the worst pain. I'm already terrified! Thanks for the recommendation.

Talked to the nurse today and she said they will mildly sedate me for the nerve block. Let's just hope they give me too much so I'm way out of it LOL. Think I will take the advice and get it done. Thanks again.
02-21-2011, 09:51 PM
I just had shoulder surgery on Jan 14th and I was scared to death of having a needle put in my neck! I couldnt sleep for 3 days! I feel like a fool! I felt a pinch then he said to tell him when I felt it in my arm ( which wasnt painful ) I told him I felt it he started putting in the numbing medicine and That was it! Not a big deal at all and believe me you want it! It is nice ot to have any pain for awhile! I had mine about 9 am and it didnt wear off till about 515 am the next morning! Was awesome I totally recommend it! Hope that helps!
03-17-2011, 04:51 PM
I had the supraspinatus anchored about a year ago, lots of pain after- typical- recovery from surgery ok, then had to go back in to get suture knots. This time, they gave me a nerve block, crazy they didnt do it the first time because this time it was less intrusive and they gave it to me.
My point on this post is, they did not tell me my arm would be DEAD for 24 hrs !!! So I laid awake all night thinking they had damaged a nerve and I would never be able to use my arm again. They did not tell me the after effects of the block, and since I had bad pain for the first surgery I thought I would never have my arm again. Even when I called the Doc after hours, he told me it could last up to 12 hrs, 'maybe' longer. No idea on my part it could last for 24 hrs. And added to this was a 'let go' effect, as the drug was letting go, I had tightness in my chest and a spreading of numbness across my (pec) chest that was not apparent until the end, and this had me worried also.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Shoulder surgery Pythonbunny 14 2,891 10-31-2014 12:01 AM
Last Post: 1171
  ACDF AND SHOULDER SURGERY NevadaCervical 4567 4 3,255 01-29-2013 10:37 PM
Last Post: NevadaCervical 4567
  Shoulder Surgery on WC CALIF Debbysue64 8 6,578 12-01-2011 05:45 PM
Last Post: LeglEgl
  second shoulder surgery with new c6 c7 fusion Mseries 4 4,074 08-17-2011 05:42 PM
Last Post: Bummer Knees
  Shoulder Injury Surgery denied 4104ever 5 8,453 07-05-2011 02:01 PM
Last Post: kate
  Branch block shots Manley2 2 2,360 01-29-2011 07:27 PM
Last Post: Manley2
  Shoulder Surgery 5 mos. Ago, Now Severe Elbow Pain krl 25 18,206 11-09-2010 01:33 AM
Last Post: 1171
Rolleyes Is Stellate Ganglion Block Considered Maintenace? lefty 1 3,794 08-31-2010 04:48 PM
Last Post: Bad Boy Bad Boy
Sad Lft Shoulder Surgery Confused2010 11 6,700 08-20-2010 08:39 PM
  stellate ganglion block lefty 1 1,966 08-17-2010 01:49 PM