Workers Compensation - Workmans Comp Service Center

Current time: 04-27-2015, 10:04 PM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Important Notice: We have deployed some new anti-spam measures that have enabled us to once again allow registration with a simple email verification. However, please do not hesitate to report suspected spam threads should they arise.

Spammers take note - your posts, if successful, will not last here. Our community is vigilant in identifying and reporting spam posts for IMMEDIATE removal. Don't waste your time!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
open medical pros and cons
04-22-2010, 02:51 PM
open medical pros and cons
I am looking for pros and cons of accepting open medical to close a WC Case.
If you have open medical or knowledge of this subject please respond.

2011 Lexus Convertible
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-22-2010, 02:54 PM (This post was last modified: 04-22-2010 04:19 PM by Bad Boy Bad Boy.)
RE: open medical pros and cons
Plus, if anyone here if Open Medical can speak of any and all Draw Backs they had once on Open Medical with a Settled Case. Then if you can after posting the encounters you went through, explain what it took to fix the problem (s)...

Thank You

Reply's are intended solely for informational purposes. They are based on personal opinions, experience, or research and are "not to be taken as fact or legal advice", otherwise, always consult an attorney or a doctor.
04-22-2010, 04:53 PM (This post was last modified: 04-22-2010 06:52 PM by Bummer Knees.)
My sister has open medical with a settled case.

For every doctor's visit, MRI, & shot, she must return to court for approval from the judge.

Her attorney, (same as mine) represents his clients with open medical at no charge after a settlement.
04-22-2010, 04:55 PM
I have always been under the impression that if receiving SSD or SSI an injured worker must settle with a set-aside, open medical is not a choice.

Am I wrong?
04-22-2010, 05:06 PM (This post was last modified: 04-22-2010 05:09 PM by freebird.)
Bummer Knees Wrote:I have always been under the impression that if receiving SSD or SSI an injured worker must settle with a set-aside, open medical is not a choice.

Am I wrong?

Never heard of this; What leads you to believe this? Makes NO sense to me but I have been wrong at least once..... LOL
I recieve SSDI...

2011 Lexus Convertible
04-22-2010, 05:12 PM
In correct as Open Medical is the equal to a MSA because CMS is being told the medical portion will be paid by the IC.

Reply's are intended solely for informational purposes. They are based on personal opinions, experience, or research and are "not to be taken as fact or legal advice", otherwise, always consult an attorney or a doctor.
04-22-2010, 11:03 PM
I have open medical, but no settlement persae. I am receiving SSDI and have medicare.

Texas is not like other states in respect to settlements. Open medical is not an option. So far there has been no problems with the medical. The IC pays for all tests and meds.. There has been only one time when a requested test had to go to an iro for a ruling. That has nothing to do with the court system. The request went to a panel of three drs. for a ruling as to wether or not is was needed.

The only issue I have is making sure that the drug store runs the prescriptions under wc or medicare. I have only had two issues with that. When the problems happened I would just call the IC and give them a heads up incase they get the bill.

8-05, Micro laminectomy/disectomy. 10-05 lumbar fusion L5-S1. 2-07 exploritory surgery. 12-07 medical implant, Spinal Cord Stimulator. now receiving SSDI. Jesus died for our sins. Soilders died for our freedom.
04-23-2010, 09:33 AM
Bummer Knees Wrote:I have always been under the impression that if receiving SSD or SSI an injured worker must settle with a set-aside, open medical is not a choice.

Am I wrong?

Open medical is a choice (at least in PA). If you do not leave the medical open, then you need to obtain set-aside approval from Social Security. If you leave the medical open, a set-aside is not required.
04-23-2010, 10:02 AM
Timothy Belt Wrote:

Am I wrong?

Open medical is a choice (at least in PA). If you do not leave the medical open, then you need to obtain set-aside approval from Social Security. If you leave the medical open, a set-aside is not required.

What are the pros and cons to having open medical in a WC settlement?
Thank you in advance

2011 Lexus Convertible
04-23-2010, 10:30 AM
Generally, open medicals provides some security in the future that if you need treatment, payment will be made. Depending on your state law, treatment may still be challenged and possible payment disputes can arise.

Closing medical should result in a somewhat higher settlement figure, and the intangible benefit of being done with the claim completely.

freebird Wrote:
Timothy Belt Wrote:

Am I wrong?

What are the pros and cons to having open medical in a WC settlement?
Thank you in advance

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  medical release/buyout? and/ or fight for medical ongoing sahshah 39 1,928 04-24-2015 08:16 PM
Last Post: sahshah
  Open medical question Manley2 13 1,248 04-02-2015 08:42 PM
Last Post: 1171
  Settled with open medical, need advice bronco54501 7 1,508 04-02-2015 08:38 PM
  re-open settled case Babebahn 3 437 02-20-2015 01:58 AM
  Pros and cons of CA lifetime medical settlement? californiaworker 2 3,371 03-06-2014 02:31 PM
  1171-When Can You Re-Open case Babebahn 6 1,660 01-19-2014 11:46 PM
Last Post: Babebahn
  Worker comp company wants to offer medical trust instead of lifetime medical benfits de88iet 1 4,993 10-20-2012 12:36 AM
  C&R vs. Open Medical BamaJ 2 1,735 08-06-2012 03:54 PM
  CandR w/open medical Collins 6 2,794 03-02-2012 10:34 PM
Last Post: lucky
  Open Medical / eventual TKR repair newknee 9 3,280 11-05-2011 09:17 AM
Last Post: Bummer Knees