Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Recalls on the Stryker knee
Bodybuilder one of the last things the physical therapist said to me at the last pt session. "We can't do anything more for you until you get treatment for your back"

Reason for this, I would be doing the exercises and the shooting nerve pain would start. Exercise with nerve pain and burning down the legs only makes things worse.

I do the range of motion, yes I can see where the problems are with strength issues.

You can strengthen the muscles a great deal without putting weight on them. There are an entire series of exercises for quads, VMO, hamstrings, etc. that can be done laying on your back, side. Your therapist should of tried those exercises.

Quadriceps
1) Quad sets: while in a seated position, with legs fully extended in front of you, make a muscle with your thighs trying to push the back of your knee down towards the floor. Hold for 10 seconds, relax and then repeat.
2) Wall slide: place your back up against the wall with your hips and knees bent to a 90 degree angle as if you were sitting in a chair. Hold this position for 10 seconds, then come up and relax. Repeat.
3) Isotonic Quad exercise: sitting in a chair with your feet planted flat on the floor, raise your right leg straight out in front of you. Relax and bring back to the floor. Repeat on the left. As you are able to you can add ankle weights to increase resistance.
Hamstrings
1) Isometric: while lying on the floor place heels on surface such as a couch or an exercise ball. Press down using the backs of your thighs and hold contraction for 10 seconds. Relax and then repeat.
2) Isotonic: lying on your belly with a pillow under your abdomen to support your back, bend your knee and bring your foot back towards your buttock. Bring back down to the floor repeat on the other side.
Gluteal Muscles
1) Isometric: Lying down on a flat surface back flat on the floor, bend your knees so that your feet are flat on the floor. Raise your buttocks up off the ground contracting your butt muscles together. Hold for 10 seconds then relax.
Calf muscles (gastrocnemius)
1) Using a wall or chair for balance, go up on your toes using your calf muscles hold yourself. Contract for 10 seconds, relax and repeat.

When I perform PT for the Knee Replacement, they over force the issue of really working the hamstrings more then anything else.

Bummer, I have L1 & L2 Spinal Stenois, it didn't stop them from PT with me, I was told medicate well and 1 hour before showing up, and possibly might have to medicate with something else when done with PT.

But, they wont give anyone a full body PT work out. I told my surgeon, I need to perform PT as if it were work Hardening, this way when he change things, you get a full body treatment.
Reply's are intended solely for informational purposes. They are based on personal opinions, experience, or research and are "not to be taken as fact or legal advice", otherwise, always consult an attorney or a doctor.

Thanks Bodybuilder

I will print this information and see if this is something I can do.

I say that because I am having a lot of trouble with the back right now.

I was up until 5:30 this morning with severe muscle spasms. I could not lay in bed as the weight on the back would make the spasms worse.

I would have trouble breathing, take a sip of water, and use the theraputic massage chair with the back. Due to the pain I could only tolerate the back being massaged 1x then would stop, another sip of water and a couple of minutes later massage the back again in the recliner. My muscles where spasming from the neck down, the whole back was involved.

I fell asleep at 5:30 am, up at 8:00 this morning.

I am on flexiril, guess I may need to contact the primary doctor Monday.

When I was in PT we would Chant out (No Pain No Gain) as PT will hurt for us, yet the pain really isn't doing any damage. We getting use to moving and using muscle we were not using. And yes, that will hurt doing PT for awhile. In the long run, even the back starts to feel much better.
Reply's are intended solely for informational purposes. They are based on personal opinions, experience, or research and are "not to be taken as fact or legal advice", otherwise, always consult an attorney or a doctor.

Bad Boy the therapist is the one who put a stop to the PT, not me.

I still do the exercises, they must not be the right ones because they are not strengthening the knee.

I have printed out the ones BB listed and will try them.

I try not to do the meds but had to when having physical therapy.

I would of switched therapists, I would of gone else where. If a patient isn't responding appropriately to a therapy then you switch therapies. After my last surgery the therapist literally hurt me, he had me do too much too soon. When he wanted me to repeat the same procedure the next session I refused, he threatened to remove me as a patient. My response, I removed him as my therapist. I went elsewhere, that's where I found out that my muscles weren't firing properly. It took 2 months, 3 days a week to get it back. In the middle of that I had surgery on my other knee. Went to the same clinic to get therapy but a different therapist.

The therapist should never, ever quit on you. I homeschooled for 5 years, I was told that my daughter was dyslexic and she was only 5. Yes she struggled to read, but when one way failed I changed gears, tried something else. I didn't give up on her, your therapist shouldn't of given up on you. Or your therapist should of sent you elsewhere. I'm surprised that one act didn't jeopardize your entire case.

BB

Well, if you don't complete your PT and medical treatment it very well could jeopardize a case. If the IC brings the issue up, and can help to close up the case and bring on a settlement real quick.

Bad Boy if you remember I had trouble with this therapist, it is in past post.

A nurse who works at the hospital had pt same time as I did, this nurse observed the physical therapist yelling at me on several occassions, and taliking about me and work comp in front of other patients.

In return this nurse filed a complaint and went to the hospital board about the therapist. The therapist was disciplined and quit working with me about a week later.

I do remember. I was saying things to what BB said. If someone quit PT and medical treatment on their own...

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Actavis Totowa (formerly known as Amide Pharmaceutical, Inc.) recalls all lots of Ber Sithie 5 5,152 05-08-2008, 03:50 PM
Last Post: Sithie
  More fentenayl recalls Sithie 1 2,072 03-03-2008, 09:04 AM
Last Post: Sithie