Workers Compensation - Workmans Comp Service Center

Current time: 04-18-2015, 03:17 PM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Important Notice: We have deployed some new anti-spam measures that have enabled us to once again allow registration with a simple email verification. However, please do not hesitate to report suspected spam threads should they arise.

Spammers take note - your posts, if successful, will not last here. Our community is vigilant in identifying and reporting spam posts for IMMEDIATE removal. Don't waste your time!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Claim workers comp, or use own insurance?
04-08-2010, 02:19 PM
Question Claim workers comp, or use own insurance?
Hi guys....

I live in Florida, and I had recently dislocated my knee on the job, and will require surgery. My company has about 20 employees and I am very close with my boss (the owner). My point is that I don't want to screw him in any way. I have good insurance through the company, and to meet my deductible would be about $1,000.

My question is, am I legally obliged to claim workers comp? Or can I use my own insurance? I don't plan on suing the company.

I just want what's best for me first, then what's best for his company second.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-08-2010, 03:42 PM
RE: Claim workers comp, or use own insurance?
if you don't falsify your history of injury the doctor is required to file it as workers comp.
04-08-2010, 05:06 PM
I Agree with 1171 100%!! I have had to Testify 12 Separate Times in My Case so Far, and the Truth is the Easiest Thing in the World to Remember! If it's Work Place You should File a Claim, You have No Idea of what Complications You May have in the Future, and if Your Private Ins. Co. finds Out You Used Them for a Workplace Injury, Your future Care will be Turned Down, and Ins. Fraud could even come into Play!! That's why it's Best to just Say it as it Happened, and let the Decisions go from There! Best of Luck!!Wink

Failed Back Surgery, Chronic Pain, Totally Disabled.

Knowledge is Power, Especially in the World of w/c. Learn as Much as You can about Your States w/c Laws, and don't Fight Battles alone, They Use Attorney's, and so Should You!!
04-08-2010, 05:29 PM (This post was last modified: 04-08-2010 07:13 PM by Bummer Knees.)
Your employer has legal responsibilities here.

I will chare my story:

I was injured in 2005 working in an early childhood classroom.

I used my leave time, went to the doctor and paid for the appointment thru my personal health insurance.

While I was at the doctor appintment a teacher who was in the classroom when I was injured went to HR and filed an incident report of my injury.

When I returned to work I was was called into HR and questioned.

The director of HR told me, "We as your employer have a legal responsibility to file a report when a employee is injured"

I was in tears at this meeting, I did not want to become a part of the world of work comp.

The employer filed the injury report and my journey started with the world of work comp.
04-08-2010, 05:43 PM
I WOULD SAY THAT ID YOU WANTED TO SAVE YOUR FREIND MONEY AND HE WAS WILLING TO PAY YOU WHILE YOU RECOVER ID SAY GO THAT ROUTE MAY NOT BE LEGAL BUT IVE DONE IT BEFORE I WAS HURT WHILE WORKING ON A BOAT IN S TEXAS I WAS OFF WORK FOR ABOUT 3 WEEKS WAS GOOD FREINDS WITH THE OWNER AND THEY OFFERED TO PAY MY SALARY WHILE I WAS OUT AND ALL MY CO PAYS AND DEDUCTABLES AND THEY DID ALL THAT I GOT BACK TO 100% AND WAS TAKEN CARE OF AND MORE IMPORTANTLY MY JOB WAS STILL THERE..ITS REALLY UP TO YOU BUT AS LONG AS THERE WILLING TO TAKE CARE OF YOUR BILLS AND SALARY I DONT SEE ANY REASON NOT TOO..ALOT OF TIMES AFTER FILING A CLAIM YOU LOSE YOUR JOB SO THATS ONE THING ID KEEP IN MIND AND YOU DONT GET RICH BY FILING A WC CLAIM..I WAS MAKING NEARLY 600 A WEEK BEFORE I WAS HURT AND MY TD IS 426.37 KINDA SUCKS

SETTLED!!!
04-08-2010, 09:40 PM
My doctor turned my injury in as work related, then the insurance company sent me a questionnaire for me to fill out; whether it was work related or not. They stated that in order to continue medical treatment, I must file a workers comp claim; so I did. It is what it is!

Let Go, and Let God......
04-08-2010, 09:52 PM
but im sayin if you were tryin to help a freind the dr dosent enen have to know its work related..chris how did your dr know it was work related im sure he wasnt guessing..i know its not the right thing to do and i for the most part do the right thing i bl in karma big time..but say you work for a freind and his company is gonna go under due to his wc premiums and one more claim could make that happen as long as there willing to pay my salary co pays deductables and keep up with my insurance i would be willing to use my own insurance

SETTLED!!!
04-08-2010, 10:12 PM
I believe that using your own insurance would fall under insurance fraud.

Why should company A have to pay for something that company B should?????

Now you know my position as to the right thing to do, but I do have another question. Who is going to pay you while you are off work recovering from surgery???

8-05, Micro laminectomy/disectomy. 10-05 lumbar fusion L5-S1. 2-07 exploritory surgery. 12-07 medical implant, Spinal Cord Stimulator. now receiving SSDI. Jesus died for our sins. Soilders died for our freedom.
04-09-2010, 08:43 AM
AQA you are correct, exactly what the doctor's office later told me.

Once my claim was approved by work comp they paid for the first doctor appointment when I went to the doctor on my own.
04-09-2010, 10:19 AM
i didnt have to have surgery when i was injured but my company paid for everything else and im talking about a very unique situation not encouraging insurance fraud in everyday situations by no means...if i would have filed a claim and a long time family freind lost his company i dont know that i could have stomached talking to them again..anyway maybe it was handled in the wrong way in your guys eyes but whats done is done cant change that all parties walked away happy

SETTLED!!!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  workers comp question evaughns23 5 286 03-31-2015 01:38 AM
Last Post: 1171
  SSDI and Workers Comp Shadow 14 718 03-28-2015 02:35 PM
Last Post: California_Help
  ***Help investigators document Workers Comp*** 1171 0 474 03-06-2015 01:25 PM
  New to workers comp'oh my God are the insurance companies really that bad?? alvinf478 3 694 02-11-2015 04:47 PM
Last Post: Manley2
  workers comp question nagol2005 1 548 01-13-2015 10:08 PM
  Workers' comp checks Maylene20 2 2,265 10-21-2014 01:56 AM
  I need help ASAP Please workers comp case ymof1 1 2,067 10-08-2014 01:19 PM
MyBB Workers Comp hired a lawyer? cblakem02 5 2,440 09-25-2014 03:39 PM
  workers comp case in California, very difficult OUCH! 7 2,958 09-12-2014 08:25 PM
  Back Injury Workers Comp. tjones288 9 5,856 09-12-2014 01:59 PM
Last Post: Robby