Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Accompanied Doctor Visits
[quote=Cycler]
but IF the NCM is IN the exam and sees that the Dr. is finding evidence of injury then you win. Shortsighted as the privacy issue is waaaaay over rated in WC as opposed to a general medical exam since disrobing is not generally done and the findings are open for all parties to read. Why piss off the one person who can actually help ? Shortsighted.

You are missing the point. Actually, I am not trying to piss off the NCM; I DO NOT want them in the same room when I am with my Doctor. They can ask there "direct" questioning with a personal consultation with my PCP. I was already stressed to the max. and I did not want to be in the midddle of a discussion between my NCM and my PCP.

I had NOTHING to hide but MY NERVES were stressed to the max. It did not hinder a thing with my NCM making a seperate appointment.
Nothing to hide; nothing to lose. Thats Freebirds stance.

The Dr. and His Staff of PA.'s or Nurses I Understand have the Right to Poke and Prod, and See Parts of My Body as Needed for Medical Evaluation. But I am not going to let a NCM Set There, and watch My Exams, there is a Right to Privacy in the Exam Room Regardless of Whom is Paying and I Chose to Exercise that Right. And I Never Stayed to Listen to Them and the Dr., They are going to Write Their Report the Way They want whether I am There or Not. It has Worked Well for Me, because the Medical Evidence has made My Case a Very Clear One as far as the Medical Portion, My Major Battle is More about Payment than Anything Else. Even the 3 IME's I have had were Ruled Non-Credible, and My Dr. and Myself Remain the Credible Parties.Wink

Still in Limbo Wrote:The Dr. and His Staff of PA.'s or Nurses I Understand have the Right to Poke and Prod, and See Parts of My Body as Needed for Medical Evaluation. But I am not going to let a NCM Set There, and watch My Exams, there is a Right to Privacy in the Exam Room Regardless of Whom is Paying and I Chose to Exercise that Right. And I Never Stayed to Listen to Them and the Dr., They are going to Write Their Report the Way They want whether I am There or Not. It has Worked Well for Me, because the Medical Evidence has made My Case a Very Clear One as far as the Medical Portion, My Major Battle is More about Payment than Anything Else. Even the 3 IME's I have had were Ruled Non-Credible, and My Dr. and Myself Remain the Credible Parties.Wink
+1 Smile

cycler you say that the ncm is important in a claim..then why is it ive only talked to mine once ove the phone when i was first injured..one time ive talked to her in 16 months never seen her nothing...they called like ten months ago and said they were switching ncm's in my case and ive never heard anything else about it
SETTLED!!!

I dunno. Maybe the word was out on you.

inpainokla Wrote:cycler you say that the ncm is important in a claim..then why is it ive only talked to mine once ove the phone when i was first injured..one time ive talked to her in 16 months never seen her nothing...they called like ten months ago and said they were switching ncm's in my case and ive never heard anything else about it

Certainly there is and no NCM is going to willingly watch that either due to TMI ( too much information) as they say.

Done well, or in a best practices manner WC care, and by extension the whole concept of Stay at work/ Return To Work, involve a cooperative effort amongst all parties with that goal in mind. The NCM, when assigned, plays an important role in understanding not only the IW's medical condition but also the needs and barriers to returning to previous job. The NCM's job is communication and facilitation and so the more information the better. THe NCM's presence in the exam room is potentially helpful as they are not doctors and so are able to be educated as to the findings of the examining physician.

They ARE nurses after all and in typical comp injuries we're not really talking about a pelvic or rectal exam, ( or even being disrobed in my experience) . Regardless, it's the communication that is important and they do not expect to be in the room but it IS the most efficient way to do business. Don't cut off your nose to spite your face as my mother used to say.

Your IME's in no way involved your NCM so I don't take your point other than your right to privacy.

freebird Wrote:[quote=Still in Limbo]
[color=#800000] But I am not going to let a NCM Set There, and watch My Exams, there is a Right to Privacy in the Exam Room Regardless of Whom is Paying and I Chose to Exercise that Right. A

Cycler Wrote:Certainly there is and no NCM is going to willingly watch that either due to TMI ( too much information) as they say.

Done well, or in a best practices manner WC care, and by extension the whole concept of Stay at work/ Return To Work, involve a cooperative effort amongst all parties with that goal in mind. The NCM, when assigned, plays an important role in understanding not only the IW's medical condition but also the needs and barriers to returning to previous job. The NCM's job is communication and facilitation and so the more information the better. THe NCM's presence in the exam room is potentially helpful as they are not doctors and so are able to be educated as to the findings of the examining physician.

They ARE nurses after all and in typical comp injuries we're not really talking about a pelvic or rectal exam, ( or even being disrobed in my experience) . Regardless, it's the communication that is important and they do not expect to be in the room but it IS the most efficient way to do business. Don't cut off your nose to spite your face as my mother used to say.

Your IME's in no way involved your NCM so I don't take your point other than your right to privacy.

freebird Wrote:[quote=Still in Limbo]
[color=#800000] But I am not going to let a NCM Set There, and watch My Exams, there is a Right to Privacy in the Exam Room Regardless of Whom is Paying and I Chose to Exercise that Right. A

It looks like thats my quote above BUT is is not.

Cycler, You live in a hopeful perfect world. Its okay to be positive but I am keeping it real.
NCM'S HAVE NO BUSINESS BEING IN MY ROOM WITH MY DOC AT ANY TIME. IT HAS WORKED FOR ME BECAUSE I DO NOT HAVE A DAMN THING TO HIDE. IT IS ALL BLACK AND WHITE.

Bird:

Your statement appears contradictory but that you prefer privacy is not questioned and only serves to limit the understanding of your condition by the NCM. Perhaps that can be mitigated if your doctor is able to spare the necessary time to explain everything again he just did with you.
Witness to the Dr. patient visit is matter of personal choice or maybe a control issue when things aren't going well. Regardless, having the NCM in the room as party to the exam is more common than you might think or want to believe and greatly favors the injured worker for a number of reasons.

My surgeon, who I had a worked with before any of this happened, Dosen't normally see WC patients. The reason I see him is because he is a Dr at the hospital where I worked when I was injured. He has stated to me before that he dosen't like the NCM's poking around giving their own medical opinions and trying to direct his pt's care. Some of the things I tell him in my exams about my condition are down right embarrasing to be telling to a complete stranger sitting in the exam with you. It's different if they want to read it in your chart later, at least it gives you some dignity to have the privacy of your exam.
6/97--Discectomy L5-S1. 3/09--Discectomy L5-S1 (failed). 6/09--spinal fusion L5-S1. This year who knows?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question doctors visits crunch179 2 2,457 05-26-2009, 09:16 PM
Last Post: buildergirl1973
  Mileage to and from Dr visits mnstrbg 4 4,615 03-12-2008, 03:08 AM
Last Post: sparkey
  er visits tweety00 7 3,253 11-22-2007, 08:01 AM
Last Post: sparkey
  Paid while at doctor visits? SlyPops 7 4,828 11-13-2007, 10:41 AM
Last Post: stiffnecked
  paid for dr visits during work time mel1980 8 10,442 09-28-2007, 06:22 AM
Last Post: rholmes