Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Accompanied Doctor Visits
Bad Boy Bad Boy Wrote:For Privacy of my Exam I didn't allow them in the room, but when the exam was over, I stayed in the room, as the doctor then sent for the NCM to come in. Doing it this way, allows you to hear and learn what they will talk about, allowing you to also step up to the plate when need be.

If you just let them go in by themself, you may miss out on what is being said. Do you want that? Or do you want to know what is going on? If you wish to know, get the medical office and doctor to work it out the way I had it done. You wont miss much then.

Welcome to this board also.

With all due respect, I would never go in the same room with the Case Manager and the Doctor. I did not need the extra stress. Most of the time, your Doctor will "go to bat for you". Most Doctors cannot stand a Case Manager and there arrogant ways. I would never submit myself to this High Stress situation. It has always worked for me. I mean really, What is the IW going to do? Argue against what the Doctor tells the Case Manager? IMHO

Nurse case managers are probably the most helpful person involved in the return to work, stay at work process. While that they not satisfy your personal agenda they are the prime communicators between all parties and can and do accelerate the process.

Cycler Wrote:Nurse case managers are probably the most helpful person involved in the return to work, stay at work process. While that they not satisfy your personal agenda they are the prime communicators between all parties and can and do accelerate the process.

AND CASE WORKER'S CAN BE THE "BIGGEST SNAKES IN THE GRASS"!
I learned this the "hard way" years ago over a phone conversation that one twisted. After I retained a Attorney he said ALL CONVERSATIONS come through the law office. He told the Case Manager that over the phone.

I have had 5 Case Managers. I have met only one of them at my 1st PT session after my Thoracic Corpectomy. She showed up unannounced and I ask kindly for her to leave. She left because the law is on my side.

I understand that all CM are not bad but how can you trust them? I did and my ass is still burn't to this day. LOL

According to my lawyer the Nurse case manager is not allowed in my exam. As stated above they do have the right to speak to your Dr. after your exam, but you also have the right to be there while they speak about you. After I told the Nurse Case manager that I had a Lawyer and she couldn't be in my exam, she was O.k. with that, and I also stayed with her while she spoke with my Dr. During this time I asked questions of my dr. about my condition like " If my surgey would have been scheduled in a timely maner would I still be experiencing the nerve damage I have now? " Things like this made the case manger very uncomfotable, and I have never seen her sence. Will she be back I have no idea, I'll cross that bridge when it gets here.
6/97--Discectomy L5-S1. 3/09--Discectomy L5-S1 (failed). 6/09--spinal fusion L5-S1. This year who knows?

I always done the Exam without them in the room. I choose to be in the room with them, and doctor when talking.

When you have a IME, they will not have you in the room most of the time. But, it is their doctor.

My very first Nurse Case Manager was a good one. Did help me some, never a stab in the back neither. Too bad she had to leave me, due to her medical problems.
Reply's are intended solely for informational purposes. They are based on personal opinions, experience, or research and are "not to be taken as fact or legal advice", otherwise, always consult an attorney or a doctor.

Well, the word was out on you.

freebird Wrote:
Cycler Wrote:Nurse case managers are probably the most helpful person involved in the return to work, stay at work process. While that they not satisfy your personal agenda they are the prime communicators between all parties and can and do accelerate the process.

AND CASE WORKER'S CAN BE THE "BIGGEST SNAKES IN THE GRASS"!
I learned this the "hard way" years ago over a phone conversation that one twisted. After I retained a Attorney he said ALL CONVERSATIONS come through the law office. He told the Case Manager that over the phone.

I have had 5 Case Managers. I have met only one of them at my 1st PT session after my Thoracic Corpectomy. She showed up unannounced and I ask kindly for her to leave. She left because the law is on my side.

I understand that all CM are not bad but how can you trust them? I did and my ass is still burn't to this day. LOL

but IF the NCM is IN the exam and sees that the Dr. is finding evidence of injury then you win. Shortsighted as the privacy issue is waaaaay over rated in WC as opposed to a general medical exam since disrobing is not generally done and the findings are open for all parties to read. Why piss off the one person who can actually help ? Shortsighted.

kit Wrote:According to my lawyer the Nurse case manager is not allowed in my exam. As stated above they do have the right to speak to your Dr. after your exam, but you also have the right to be there while they speak about you. After I told the Nurse Case manager that I had a Lawyer and she couldn't be in my exam, she was O.k. with that, and I also stayed with her while she spoke with my Dr. During this time I asked questions of my dr. about my condition like " If my surgey would have been scheduled in a timely maner would I still be experiencing the nerve damage I have now? " Things like this made the case manger very uncomfotable, and I have never seen her sence. Will she be back I have no idea, I'll cross that bridge when it gets here.

Cycler Wrote:but IF the NCM is IN the exam and sees that the Dr. is finding evidence of injury then you win. Shortsighted as the privacy issue is waaaaay over rated in WC as opposed to a general medical exam since disrobing is not generally done and the findings are open for all parties to read. Why piss off the one person who can actually help ? Shortsighted.

kit Wrote:According to my lawyer the Nurse case manager is not allowed in my exam. As stated above they do have the right to speak to your Dr. after your exam, but you also have the right to be there while they speak about you. After I told the Nurse Case manager that I had a Lawyer and she couldn't be in my exam, she was O.k. with that, and I also stayed with her while she spoke with my Dr. During this time I asked questions of my dr. about my condition like " If my surgey would have been scheduled in a timely maner would I still be experiencing the nerve damage I have now? " Things like this made the case manger very uncomfotable, and I have never seen her sence. Will she be back I have no idea, I'll cross that bridge when it gets here.

This NCM ambushed me in my Dr's waiting room. She came up did not introduce herself and just started asking me questions as to why I was there. Sounded a little wierd to me. I asked who she was then she went into her I'm here to help you and not hired by the IC company B.S. If she couldn't tell me who she was up front why in the He** would I allow her in the room with me and my Dr. Not everything you discuss makes it into your medical history! I now the IC pay's my bills, but there are somethings that are private between you and your Dr.
6/97--Discectomy L5-S1. 3/09--Discectomy L5-S1 (failed). 6/09--spinal fusion L5-S1. This year who knows?

I'm not sure it is your doctor;
under most comp laws it's your employer's doctor.
Reminder :
........Each state has their own comp system; POST YOUR STATE to get accurate information. Use the search feature to find information from similar questions.
THANKS FOR POSTING.

Well if that's the case then it is NOT part of the WC injury discussion and should be left for a medical appt. There really isn't anything that is private between you and your Dr. when it comes to a work injury. But I do agree that the NCM's behavior as you have stated it is unprofessional and alarming. Of course there are some nut jobs in that business as well but the whole point of the NCM relationship is as a facilitator and therefore one who must gain the respect and confidence of all parties in order to be effective.

[/quote]
I now the IC pay's my bills, but there are somethings that are private between you and your Dr.
[/quote]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question doctors visits crunch179 2 2,457 05-26-2009, 09:16 PM
Last Post: buildergirl1973
  Mileage to and from Dr visits mnstrbg 4 4,615 03-12-2008, 03:08 AM
Last Post: sparkey
  er visits tweety00 7 3,254 11-22-2007, 08:01 AM
Last Post: sparkey
  Paid while at doctor visits? SlyPops 7 4,828 11-13-2007, 10:41 AM
Last Post: stiffnecked
  paid for dr visits during work time mel1980 8 10,446 09-28-2007, 06:22 AM