Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Will WC carrier pay for out of state hotel (CA)
(02-02-2018, 08:59 PM)California_Help Wrote:
(02-02-2018, 08:46 PM)kibby Wrote:
(01-28-2018, 01:57 PM)California_Help Wrote: It would be helpful if you provided the name of medication and condition it is being prescribed for. 

I still think your claims adjuster should have run it through utilization review, unless the request was not sent on and RFA form, is for an injury that is not accepted OR has been previously denied by UR within the last 12 months. (JMO)

Well, now they just denied my Injections I was supposed to go but I had the appointment rescheduled due to another dr appointment. Good thing or else they would have been on the hook. They sent out the denial on the day I was supposed to have them. Thoracic, neck and lumbar injury is worthless with CIGA

I am surprised your doctor was going to do it without receiving an approval first. They may not have been on the hook if the denial was timely.

If you read your denial there should be two ways you or your doctor can appeal it. First through the internal UR appeal process and then through IMR. There are time limits with both. They should have stated why it was denied and the rational they used to deny it. Just FYI these are not always accurate and many times requests are denied due to lack of information. There are ways to appeal some of these denials (not always). If your doctor is well versed in WC he may know how to appeal this, but there are strict time limits.

He is well versed in GA work Comp, not California...
Also, the denial is filled with inaccuracies, they even called the doctor a psychiatric  even though he is a orthopedic doctor. Would that invalidate their claim? I am filling out the paperwork now

(02-02-2018, 09:10 PM)kibby Wrote:
(02-02-2018, 08:59 PM)California_Help Wrote:
(02-02-2018, 08:46 PM)kibby Wrote:
(01-28-2018, 01:57 PM)California_Help Wrote: It would be helpful if you provided the name of medication and condition it is being prescribed for. 

I still think your claims adjuster should have run it through utilization review, unless the request was not sent on and RFA form, is for an injury that is not accepted OR has been previously denied by UR within the last 12 months. (JMO)

Well, now they just denied my Injections I was supposed to go but I had the appointment rescheduled due to another dr appointment. Good thing or else they would have been on the hook. They sent out the denial on the day I was supposed to have them. Thoracic, neck and lumbar injury is worthless with CIGA

I am surprised your doctor was going to do it without receiving an approval first. They may not have been on the hook if the denial was timely.

If you read your denial there should be two ways you or your doctor can appeal it. First through the internal UR appeal process and then through IMR. There are time limits with both. They should have stated why it was denied and the rational they used to deny it. Just FYI these are not always accurate and many times requests are denied due to lack of information. There are ways to appeal some of these denials (not always). If your doctor is well versed in WC he may know how to appeal this, but there are strict time limits.

He is well versed in GA work Comp, not California...
Also, the denial is filled with inaccuracies, they even called the doctor a psychiatric  even though he is a orthopedic doctor. Would that invalidate their claim? I am filling out the paperwork now

It depends. I think it may be easier to appeal it. I recommend googling the name of the doctor who wrote the UR denial to check his specialty. He may not be located in CA (just FYI). If the UR reviewer is wrong specialty you can appeal it and file a complaint with the medical unit.

As I mentioned before there are 2 ways to appeal UR denials. The first is to do an internal UR appeal (short time frame and it is different for every IC). The second way is through IMR which is 30 days. I have better luck with appealing through internal UR appeals process.

Addressing the reasons for the denial is important. If you need any help finding treatment guidelines let me know (if they are available). Some guidelines were recently changed in CA so I would need to look it up. Guidelines are generally for injured body part. For example if your doctor requested physical therapy I would need to know what is the injury and body parts he is requesting. I do a search under body part and request. With medications this gets complex especially with patients who have multiple injuries and conditions. It is best to have a physicians appeal medications.

I think you may have a better chance if you gave your doctor the treatment guidelines before he does the request since he is not familiar with what is expected in the CA WC system. I can show you how to look for these if you want. This appears to be one of the struggles people have trying to get treatment out of state. It is difficult to get treatment in CA as many CA physicians do not appear to know the guidelines either.(JMO)

Good luck with your appeal.
I am not an attorney.Anything I write should not be considered legal advice.I am writing from my own personal experiences,which is not from any sort of legal background. You should consult with an attorney over legal issues. In California, if you cannot get an attorney you can consult with an I&A officer.

MSC hearing scheduled for next month. Will my attorney ask for more money, I am not taking their current settlement. I have never had an MSC always a status hearing. What triggered this? Looks like my attorney finally has to show up to something, even if he doesn't want to

Atty fees generally are a fixed % of the PD or C&R.
Probably a request for trial. The M in "MSC" means it's required before the court will schedule one.
Reminder :
........Each state has their own comp system; POST YOUR STATE to get accurate information. Use the search feature to find information from similar questions.
THANKS FOR POSTING.

Hi 1171,

I did not want to make a new thread for this but wanted to ask you if you can access your pm's? I cannot and have not been able to for about a month.
I am not an attorney.Anything I write should not be considered legal advice.I am writing from my own personal experiences,which is not from any sort of legal background. You should consult with an attorney over legal issues. In California, if you cannot get an attorney you can consult with an I&A officer.

So far ok.
Last 2 from you on 2/2.
You should Email/report to the mods or admin for help.
Reminder :
........Each state has their own comp system; POST YOUR STATE to get accurate information. Use the search feature to find information from similar questions.
THANKS FOR POSTING.

I am not able to send pm's either so I cannot send admin a pm of problem.

Thank you 1171.

I reported your post
Reminder :
THANKS FOR POSTING.

Our IT Department is looking into the PM situation. Sorry for the inconvenience.

(02-22-2018, 11:45 AM)1171 Wrote: Atty fees generally are a fixed % of the PD or C&R.
Probably a request for trial. The M in "MSC" means it's required before the court will schedule one.

I meant ask more money at the hearing. But I understand what you meant Tongue

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Getting Tired Of My Ins. Carrier.... tbear6410 135 31,915 04-14-2018, 03:12 PM
Last Post: tbear6410
  CA how to protect third party pain and suffering settlement from carrier liens? EJL 2 1,848 05-22-2016, 07:53 AM
Last Post: sergios
  Billing Forms For Insurance Carrier champmed 2 1,799 04-15-2016, 02:13 PM
Last Post: Timothy Belt
  I filed 3 business days ago... their carrier wants to talk already! Good or bad sign? AMSchmitt79 6 2,892 04-06-2016, 08:18 PM
Last Post: 1171
  NC State WC employees and State Employee bonus CuriousOneNC 1 1,812 01-06-2016, 06:46 PM
Last Post: 1171
  Can carrier ask for TTD credit in settlement- CA Jack 2 3,403 12-05-2013, 02:56 AM
Last Post: dolphins
  carrier refusing to fill prescription i have had for 4 years vickijperks 5 5,190 11-01-2013, 07:33 PM
Last Post: ChimarenTaylor
  strong armed by WC carrier kaohu69 5 5,555 08-10-2013, 04:20 PM
Last Post: Bummer Knees
  Can I fire my lawyer or contact insurance carrier if he refuses? fedupagain 3 4,416 01-09-2013, 08:03 PM
Last Post: nomeds
  Comp Carrier heynow 7 5,899 06-30-2012, 12:50 PM
Last Post: bronco54501