Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help
Poll: should i try for workers comp?
yes
no
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
someone please help me or give me advice
this all takes place in maine. my job is a sitdown job mon.-frid. 9-5. my pain started with my lower back. i've been employed with this company for over 2 years. i have no history of back pain whatsoever. this is new to me. it started on a day off from having an infected tooth being extracted. i ended up spending 1-2 days barely leaving my bed. the infection was that bad. i woke up had unbareable pain in my lower back. thought i just slept wrong would give it a couple days. well as time went by, pain got worse and started going down into my legs/feet(making them swell and eventually go numb & mainly my right leg). the only time all this occurs is when i sit. instantly lower back hurts. it doesn't go down into my legs/feet unless i sit for a prolonged period of time usually 30 minutes or more. when i stand there is no pain unless i just get up from a sitting position. then pain in back last for 3-5 minutes but my hips hurt and legs throb. they will stop hurting in 5-10mins. if i go from a laying down position to standing, there is no pain unless i bend over. the only time i am in pain is when sitting is involved. my doctor thinks it's sciatica related. i've done xrays-nothing. mri is scheduled nxt wk. the meds i'm on have lessened the pain somewhat but sitting still is very painful. i was referred to physical therapy. physical therapy thinks herniated or ruptured disc. mri should tell us. my doctor wrote a note saying my desk needed to be altered at work so that i can stand because my pain is from prolonged sitting at work(she believes) since standing does not hurt. my employer altered the desk last week but i have to file for workers comp since maine is a free will state so they don't have to comply w dr's notes. i worked one day(not my reg sched shift) with no problems. stood @ my station with no pain the entire shift. my employer then asked me for documentation stating i am able to still work and what restrictions i have. my dr did that. i can work but IF i sit it can only be done for 30 mins then i have to stand for 30mins and my desk needs to be altered so i can see my computer screen at eye level when i do need to stand. i'm fine with just standing. my employer now isn't scheduling me even w that documentation. their reason is i need to be evaluated by their doctor first and they were advised not to alter my desk or accomadate until that is done. yet i was fine to work that one day w the altered station. my company is based in canada. so i'm still waiting to hear back on when i see their doctor, how workers comp. form is going etc. i have gone 2x now to physical therapy. 1x hurt alot with the exercises. i was very sore the nxt day. even standing hurt. 2x felt good. the therapist did stretches and massaged my back, side & butt area. apparently the muscle in my butt was tensed/tight. he showed me stretches to do at home to stretch this muscle in my butt. after he did that he had me sit for 30 mins. w a lumber support roll. i was able to do it. i was VERY surprised. i've been doing my exercises from my 2nd physical therapy since pain lessened. yesterday i did the sitting w lumbar roll for 30 mins. then would stand for another 30mins. did this for about 2 hours and did the stretches and pain was still less. as it was the day before at the therapist office. i thought finally something is working and i will be able to sit again with no pain in time. today doing them, killed. i'm right back where i started from. i can't even sit for 30 mins w lumbar before it shoots down to my leg/ft. so i gave up doing them today. i stood or laid down most of the day.
my ? is after all that explaining but i really need the advice/help on this....since i wasn't at work when the pain started and it started after a tooth being pulled(not sure how tooth would relate to back issues) am i able to file workers comp? since sitting is the major pain and cause of the pain. i don't want to waste my time if whomever is going to look at this & laugh then throw it out. i find it very hard to believe that this is all over a tooth.

the cause of your condition needs supporting medical opinion.
if you have a medical opinion that your job caused your back condition by all means file a work comp claim.
if not, any claim filed will be denied and you can't win an appeal without medical evidence that it is work related.
Reminder :
........Each state has their own comp system; POST YOUR STATE to get accurate information. Use the search feature to find information from similar questions.
THANKS FOR POSTING.

(08-19-2011, 02:07 AM)1171 Wrote: the cause of your condition needs supporting medical opinion.
if you have a medical opinion that your job caused your back condition by all means file a work comp claim.
if not, any claim filed will be denied and you can't win an appeal without medical evidence that it is work related.

thank you. my doctor does say/think it is work related. it just looks funny/bad that it all started after a tooth being pulled. that's when the pain started was on a day off with a doctor's note from the dentist. i'm overthinking everything because i've never done this or been through this before. it's been very stressful to say the least

Spam reported
Reminder :
........Each state has their own comp system; POST YOUR STATE to get accurate information. Use the search feature to find information from similar questions.
THANKS FOR POSTING.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Have to give two statements to WC insurance? mwpdx86 5 1,737 03-08-2016, 03:54 PM
Last Post: RootsGal
Exclamation Can someone give me advise on what to do? lizdawiz82 3 5,470 09-10-2011, 07:28 PM
Last Post: lizdawiz82
  Does your employer need to give you a job back? Dirtydawg69 2 4,104 11-26-2010, 11:42 AM
Last Post: 1171
  Attorney said give up take what they offer Sadiesmom 24 18,750 05-09-2010, 09:23 AM
Last Post: Regrets
  Give it to me like it is. izell 2 2,856 03-03-2010, 06:44 PM
Last Post: Still in Limbo
  Can a PA give a deposition? bodybuilder1958 3 5,139 11-20-2009, 10:40 AM
Last Post: 1171
Question Should AZ Gal Give Up? azmickelson 9 4,957 09-02-2008, 08:53 PM
Last Post: jayne
  Does IME give you a rating? injrdnsc 14 8,480 04-21-2008, 10:31 AM
Last Post: Bad Boy Bad Boy
  give my position to someone else Mike 3 3,622 02-21-2008, 01:03 AM
Last Post: red1030
  Forced to give up PTO fedupinfl 8 5,856 11-30-2007, 11:32 PM