Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Comp Carrier
The comp carrier called my lawyer about a possible settlement. Hmmmm. I wonder if this is good for me?

how long have you been injured?

October 2010. Had my IME back in Feb of this year

I would definitely ask my lawyer a/b details, and get a copy of something to read over before saying yes or no...

But remember normally if the i/c wants to settle is for their best reason not yours!!!

Settling is generally a good thing especially if you are MMI which you should be if they want to settle.

Remember, You will not get rich with a WC settlement. Make sure if needed you have enough money in your settlement for future medical needs caused from your Work Related Injury.

Some say it is best to keep open medical; I did not settle with open medical; I settled my Future Medical needs with a Medicare Setaside. The IC would not even entertain the thought of open Medical in my state of Louisiana.

I am happy with my MSA and my Indemnity pay and am REALLY GLAD I have got rid of WC; With open medical you will still have WC to deal with.

It is good to settle on your own terms; Sometimes many IW's cannot wait the negotiations out due to Bankruptcy, Behind on bills, etc meaning they need money.

Your Attorney should present to you there offer. They will low ball you unless you live in a state where your settlement reward is cut and dry; My settlement was a 10 hour mediation.

Good Luck.

My attorney seems pretty pleased that they called him about a possible settlement. He seems to think that the IME was in our favor since he never got a report nor did the insurance company file a petition to terminate benefits which would have been the case if the IME report was not in my favor. That and my doctor wants me to consider another operation on my arm to try and resolve my issues. I am thinking the insurance company might want to try and cut their losses. My attorney seems to think I can clear 6 figures which would be alright by me as long as I can find a decent job. Moving forward, I can invest that money and be set for retirement down the road.

(06-29-2012, 06:09 PM)heynow Wrote: My attorney seems pretty pleased that they called him about a possible settlement. He seems to think that the IME was in our favor since he never got a report nor did the insurance company file a petition to terminate benefits which would have been the case if the IME report was not in my favor. That and my doctor wants me to consider another operation on my arm to try and resolve my issues. I am thinking the insurance company might want to try and cut their losses. My attorney seems to think I can clear 6 figures which would be alright by me as long as I can find a decent job. Moving forward, I can invest that money and be set for retirement down the road.

If your Dr. feels you will need another surgrey, I would not consider any type of settlement untill after the needed surgrey. I have been in the wc system for 11 yrs now and are just now talking some kind of settlement.
Cervical Fusion 2003, c5-c6. Herniated and damaged Disc L1- L4-L5 S1. Lumbar Spinal Cord stimulator implant 09-2008. Cervical ACDF revision with hardware c4-c5-c6-c7 Sept 2009.
SSDI approved 3-2010. NOW OFFICIALY RETIRED

I would say I would wait as well, you may end up with a failed surgery and a large amount of dr bills and you might not beable to move to another type of employment... I have been in the system since 2007 and has been over a year since mmi, I am keeping the needed 2 level fusion open for further down the road.. My attorney figures by the end of the year we will be settled, but not holding my breathe.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Will WC carrier pay for out of state hotel (CA) kibby 65 9,638 05-21-2018, 03:53 PM
Last Post: 1171
  Getting Tired Of My Ins. Carrier.... tbear6410 135 31,785 04-14-2018, 03:12 PM
Last Post: tbear6410
  CA how to protect third party pain and suffering settlement from carrier liens? EJL 2 1,843 05-22-2016, 07:53 AM
Last Post: sergios
  Billing Forms For Insurance Carrier champmed 2 1,796 04-15-2016, 02:13 PM
Last Post: Timothy Belt
  I filed 3 business days ago... their carrier wants to talk already! Good or bad sign? AMSchmitt79 6 2,886 04-06-2016, 08:18 PM
  Can carrier ask for TTD credit in settlement- CA Jack 2 3,398 12-05-2013, 02:56 AM
Last Post: dolphins
  carrier refusing to fill prescription i have had for 4 years vickijperks 5 5,178 11-01-2013, 07:33 PM
Last Post: ChimarenTaylor
  strong armed by WC carrier kaohu69 5 5,541 08-10-2013, 04:20 PM
Last Post: Bummer Knees
  Can I fire my lawyer or contact insurance carrier if he refuses? fedupagain 3 4,408 01-09-2013, 08:03 PM
Last Post: nomeds
  Employer and Carrier - "Bad Faith" Insurance dirckhecking 12 7,926 06-29-2012, 12:58 PM