Workers' Compensation Discussion Forums
Carpal tunnel/Life after surgery - Printable Version

+- Workers' Compensation Discussion Forums (http://www.workerscompensation.com/forums/general)
+-- Forum: Category (/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Off Topic Area (/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: Carpal tunnel/Life after surgery (/showthread.php?tid=7656)

Pages: 1 2

Carpal tunnel/Life after surgery - Bummer Knees - 06-18-2009 07:39 AM

Yesterday I saw the surgeon, the dressing and ace wrap were removed.

I am suprised at how weak the hand & wrist feels.

The doctor released me from his care, no follow up and no physical therapy. He did say no pushing or pulling, no lifting.

Is this normal treatment following carpal tunnel surgery?

RE: Carpal tunnel/Life after surgery - Bad Boy Bad Boy - 06-18-2009 10:38 AM

As I had said before, it took mine 1 full year to get better. Yet, I was released to work also. You should have been given some home PT issues to perform, if not you need to call and ask for the sheet. Heat and ICE are to be used now as just as your Knee was. You do need to touch the tip of your thumb to each finger tip as a home PT I do know.

RE: Carpal tunnel/Life after surgery - Bummer Knees - 06-18-2009 01:40 PM

I saw the my primary doctor this morning. He said the hand looked good.

We talked about the ankle, lots of giving, swelling, & pain.

The doctor wrote a script for a ankle brace. He said as unstable as the ankle is I am a risk for falls.

He said the ankle problems are due to the arthiritis and nerve pain.

RE: Carpal tunnel/Life after surgery - Bummer Knees - 06-20-2009 04:13 PM

Today is 11 days post surgery.

I do believe the hand is doing well although there is sorts of soreness and no strength.

I do have a history with scar tisuue from previous surgeries.

When I saw the surgeon no physical therapy was orderd and I wasn't given exercises to do. Bad Boy has been a great help here, been following his advise.

I do feel lost on any exercises I should be doing after surgery, and the tissue feels lumpy where the incision is.

I am thinking about calling the surgeon's nurse and requesting one session of physical therapy so that I may learn the exercises to do so that I gain strength and use of this hand.

This was an overuse injury but I selected to keep it out of workcomp. I have BCBS and Medicare.

I would appreciate any thoughts or suggestions.

Thank you
Bummer Knees

RE: Carpal tunnel/Life after surgery - Cycler - 06-20-2009 04:40 PM

The strength just comes back, slowly. IF PT was necessary he would have ordered it

RE: Carpal tunnel/Life after surgery - Still in Limbo - 06-20-2009 04:45 PM

Hi Bummer!! I don't have any Knowledge about Your Surgery, but I do have a Suggestion about the Exercises. Could You Call the Place where You have had PT Done in the Past, or the Surgeon's PA, and Ask if they cold Send You a List of Exercises You can do at Home? It would Save You a Drive and Time if they could Either Fax, or E-Mail them to You. Just a Thought, Have a Great Day, and TAKE YOUR MEDS.!!Tongue

RE: Carpal tunnel/Life after surgery - Bummer Knees - 06-20-2009 06:29 PM

Cycler

It's not that I want to attend therapy sessions, I would like a sheet of exercises to do and know I am doing the exercises correctly. (An important part of therapy is doing the exercises in the correct way so benefit is gained)

And I do have the problem with scar tissue, had problems with the replacement due to scar tissue and with other past surgeries.

Thank you Still In Limbo, great suggestion, I will call the PA.

RE: Carpal tunnel/Life after surgery - Cycler - 06-20-2009 08:03 PM

Just stretch your palms and rub in some Vit E for the scar. The hand muscles will come back on their own as you use your hands but excercise aren't part of healing process generally. The sensory nerves will or will not get better on their own,Lots of experience with CTS surgery.

RE: Carpal tunnel/Life after surgery - Bad Boy Bad Boy - 06-20-2009 08:32 PM

Bummer try these;

The goals are to get more blood flowing to the area and to move the nerve so that the part of the nerve that is in the tunnel slips out for a breather.

Try fully curling the fingers into a fist and bending the wrist toward the palm. Then straighten the fingers and stretch the wrist back the other way. Repeat those motions about ten times.

Remember that carpal tunnel syndrome almost always starts gradually, so it has usually been present for a while before you even notice any symptoms. Stretches and exercises have to be performed regularly to be effective. Try to make it part of your daily routine--perhaps each morning and before bedtime.

Step1> Extended your fingers straight out from your hand. Your thumb should be pointing in the same way, although you can relax it.

Step 2> Bend your fingers slowly inward towards your palm. Be sure that your fingers are bending from the lowest joint, which is where they connect to the hand.

Step 3> Stop bending when your fingers make a 90-degree angle with your hand.

Step 4> Bend your fingers inward from your other joints so you make a closed fist.

Step 5> Hold this position for 5 seconds and then reverse the procedure so that your fingers are fully extended again.

Step 6> Do this exercise 10 times each day. It will help restore movement to your fingers and strengthen your tendons.

Increase Thumb Movement After Carpal Tunnel Surgery

Step 1> Relax and extend all your fingers.

Step 2> Reach over to your pinky finger with your thumb. Bend your pinky if you need to.

Step 3> Touch the pad of your thumb to the pad of your pinky finger.

Step 4 Gently apply pressure on your little finger with your thumb for about 3 seconds.

Step 5> Relax both the little finger and the thumb.

Step 6> Repeat this process with your thumb and your other fingers. You should do this a couple of times each day. This exercise may help reshape the inside of your wrist after surgery as well as restore strength and movement to your thumb.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUyMNyrOHJQ

http://physicaltherapy.about.com/lr/carpal_tunnel_exercises/117531/3/

RE: Carpal tunnel/Life after surgery - UndercovrAngel - 06-20-2009 08:33 PM

BK,

Although I had De'Quervain's release, I was given a lot of home PT to do along with the PT I did in the office. I can advise you as to what I had to do...it helped to keep the scar tissue from building back up after I had the 2nd surgery for that issue.

First either a nice squishy ball or actually play doh works better. Roll the play doh into a ball and then squish it all around using your fingers. Do a three minute warm-up with that.

Next, lay the play doh out on the table and using your hand, from wrist to tips of fingers, roll the play doh out in a snake. When it is long enough, squish it back together and repeat 5 times.

Touch the tip of your thumb to the tip of each finger 10 times

Touch the tip of your thumb to the tip of each finger, but this time, move it downwards to the base of each finger as far as you can. Repeat 10 times.

For weight bearing, start with something that weighs about 1 lb (you can move up in weight as your wrist grows stronger) hold it in your hand like you would hand weights. Place a towel at the edge of a table for comfort. Then holding your weight in your hand, move it up and down at the wrist, over the side of the table. If this is uncomfortable for you.. put your elbow on the table and flex wrist. Start out with reps of ten, and gradually build up.

As a cool down, fill one side of sink with tepid water (not to cold, not to hot) and the other side with water that is hot enough (like you would do when washing dishes.. wash water). Start out on the tepid side, with a dishrag and squeeze the dishrag under the water, 3 minutes in tepid, 5 in the hotter water. Repeat 5 times.

When finished, place ice on the injured wrist for 10 minutes to keep swelling down.

Of course, you can adjust this to what you are able to do at this time. If you can't get your hand wet as of yet, then replace that part with a warm, moist heating pad for 10 minutes.

I hope that this will help you.

Angel ^j^