Workers' Compensation Discussion Forums
Question about Loratab - Printable Version

+- Workers' Compensation Discussion Forums (http://www.workerscompensation.com/forums/general)
+-- Forum: Category (/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Off Topic Area (/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: Question about Loratab (/showthread.php?tid=13418)

Pages: 1 2

Question about Loratab - Bummer Knees - 03-04-2012 10:24 PM

Tomorrow is the day I have the injection of the hand.

Due to my history with injections I will have a driver and take a Loratab about 45 minutes before the appointment.

After the knee replacement in 2008 the physical therapist would have me take Loratab 10 mg. before the appointment, I do not remember if it was with or without foods.

I do know taking the meds with foods makes a difference with the way the meds works.

Have any of you taken Loratab and were you directed to take it with foods.

RE: Question about Loratab - monster1963 - 03-04-2012 11:39 PM

I found this online Bummer. DOn't know if it actually answers your question or not.

"HOW TO USE: Take this medication by mouth, as directed by your doctor. You may take this drug with or without food. If you have nausea, you may take this drug with food, although doing so may decrease its effectiveness. Consult your doctor or pharmacist about alternatives for decreasing nausea (e.g., antihistamines, lying down for 1-2 hours with minimal head movement)."

It was from this website...

http://www.rxlist.com/lortab-10-drug/consumer-uses.htm

I'm sorry to hear you need an injection but I sure hope it helps. Have a safe trip.

RE: Question about Loratab - UndercovrAngel - 03-05-2012 12:07 AM

BK,

Seems like Lortab is a Dr favorite. I have been put on it off and on since my first WC injury back in 2003.

My PM Dr put me on it before switching me over to the methadone and gabepentin with lortab for breakthrough. A lot has to do with the strength. My last was 10/575. I have never had problems taking it with or without food. But find by taking it with food, it takes longer for it to be absorbed into the system as your stomach is also trying to digest the food as well.

I have found taking it with a glass of cold milk seems to be the trick for me. Milk coats the stomach so less chance of nausea, and the medication is absorbed into your system in the manner it is meant to be. Or at least, that is what worked/works for me.

I am going to the neurosurgeon on the 13th (PM is turning my care over to him due to possibility of 3 surgeries but they will still consult with one another since they share an office) and see about getting the doseage of the methadone/gabepentin upped and something else prescribed for break through since it looks like the permanent SCS is going to end up being a no go.

Angel ^j^

RE: Question about Loratab - Bummer Knees - 03-05-2012 08:44 AM

Thanks Monster and UA, so nice to have our old friends here.

When I took the Loratab in 2008 it was 10 mg.

UA I believe you are correct I did take it with foods to makes it last longer. I just could not remember and the search i did was of no use.

RE: Question about Loratab - lucky - 03-05-2012 01:31 PM

Unfortunately, I have taken Lortab (Hydrocone 10/500) foe 8 + years for break through pain with the Fentanyl Patch.

I can take with or without food. Personally, I feel extremely dependent of this drug and my body craves it after a 7 hour sleep at night. I take 3 - 4 a day and it does work well for me.

Doctors will prescribe Lortab because it is Schedule 3 Narcotic instead of a Schedule 2 like Oxycodone.

RE: Question about Loratab - jayc123 - 03-05-2012 06:16 PM

(03-04-2012 10:24 PM)Bummer Knees Wrote:  Tomorrow is the day I have the injection of the hand.

Due to my history with injections I will have a driver and take a Loratab about 45 minutes before the appointment.

After the knee replacement in 2008 the physical therapist would have me take Loratab 10 mg. before the appointment, I do not remember if it was with or without foods.

I do know taking the meds with foods makes a difference with the way the meds works.

Have any of you taken Loratab and were you directed to take it with foods.

ive been taking 10/325 since 7/11 and has worked pretty well for a while because i didnt want to go harder.if you take it with food you will not get the same effect and it wil take longer if anything happens at all. i take mine with chocolate milk(or plain) because water seems to make the nausea happen. ive tried a bunch of different ways and milk is definately the best on an empty stomach.if you do take it with food you probably wont feel anything from just 10mg.good luck

RE: Question about Loratab - lucky - 03-05-2012 07:50 PM

You will fell a 10 mg dose unless you are already opioid tolerant. Personally I feel 10 mg of Hydrocodone works as well as 10 mg of Oxycodone and Oxycodone makes me sweat big time.

RE: Question about Loratab - jayc123 - 03-05-2012 09:47 PM

the problem i have with lortab is it doesnt take the pain away it just makes me not care about the pain. percocet actually removes alot of pain for me, the trouble is i dont ike feeling like this all the time.anybody know of something that doesnt mess up your head?

RE: Question about Loratab - Bummer Knees - 03-05-2012 10:04 PM

jayc that was a good description of Loratab, messing with the head!

RE: Question about Loratab - jayne - 03-05-2012 10:39 PM

Jayc many of the old timers on here get relief from tens units.Many of us have different ways of dealing with the pain.I float in a warm pool in the summer in the winter I lay on a heating pad or in a hot tub.