Workers' Compensation Discussion Forums

Full Version: Confused
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I am from Maryland and have recieve multiple life threatening injuries at work . After 4 surgeries and nearly 2 years I am at MMI . My lawyer sent me to several doctors (each for certain injuries) and my total ratings is something over %150 for all my injuries compined .Im still trying to figure exactly what that % means .
I havent heard a word from the WC lawyers and just got a letter from the court saying ill get a hearing date soon.
Do I go to there doctors before or after this first trail?
I am back to my old job with a few restrictions however im finding my injuries tend to make it very difficult sometimes.
A meeting with my lawyer is in the works , just figured Id heard from others first.
the number of weeks you will receive permanent partial disability benefits is calculated according to your impairment rating--the higher the rating the longer you will receive these benefits.
here's a link to permanent partial explanation
http://www.wcc.state.md.us/Gen_Info/WCC_Benefits.html
there is no fixed point at which the carrier decides to get a second medical opinion if they even do.
I am confused to a rating of over 100% myself. As 100% would mean a person is 100% disabled. So it is my opinion, if your working this percentage rate is going to change a whole lot.
Yes it will Bad Boy. Lets not confuse, individual impairment ratings for seperate body parts that are added together with whole body impairments.

Here is an example of what I am trying to say. 25% impairment left knee, 10% impairment left foot, 30% impairment back, 20% impairment neck, 15% impairment right arm and 15% impairment right hand.

The total impairment equals 115%, but the WHOLE BODY impairment might be 45%.
yeah thats pretty confusing..so now i have a question when i go to get a rating on my back will it be for body as a whole or just the back?
and since the back is my only injury how do they come up with the body as a whole rating??
The WPI (whole person impairment) rating is based on one or more body parts, each rated separately using the AMA guidelines. If your back is 16% WPI (example), this number is re-calculated into a "disability" rating. The disability rating is a complicated formula and different for everyone. A mulfiplier is used depending on your age at DOI, the percentage assigned for any pre-existing condition attributing to this injury, and calculated future earnings loss. That mulfiplier can either increase or decrease the WPI to a Permanent Partial Disability percentage.

As an example, and I don't quite get how it was calculated, my psyche injury is 12% WPI, but the PPD rating is 26%. When my other ratings are calculated and added, a final PPD rating will be determined. Just a note: Psyche WPI's/PPD % are calculated differently that other body parts. The GAF scales are used, determined by psyche testing scores, to determine the WPI.

This is why when people ask what others think their rating will be, it's near impossible to guess at unless all the details are known about your case.

Crazy! But that's why there are so many people involved in the settlement process, that is if there is a dispute by either party.
In the back of the AMA Guides To The Evaluation of Permanent Impairment , any edition, there is a 4 page table that Combines values called....The Combined Values Table.

After each limb or body region is examined and it's specific regional impairment determined in the texts' specific chapter that impairment is converted to a Whole Person Impairment via a table specific to that Chapter/ Body Region of the text.; i.e. Spine is Chapter 15, Upper Extremity is chapter 16, Lower Extremity is Chapter 17, Skin is Chapter 8 and so on in the 5th edition.

A final and total Whole Person Impairment is arrived by COMBINING ( not adding ) the various regional Whole Person Impairments, and Psych if applicable and, if the entire process was done correctly, ( which ALL research demonstrates that it rarely is correct and generally wildly overestimated ), you cannot reach in excess of 100 %.

To answer the OP question though... no one can give you an answer because Impairment is a medical issue and you are asking about Disability which is a social issue. The governing laws of your particular system determine how the one is converted to the other and involves your earnings history etc etc. Ask your atty for specifics.
Ill assume the whole body rating is done by the workers comp Judge? My ratings are hard to understand as I probably have over 25 parts rated a %.
Part of my injury has created alot of dizziness issues as well as permenant lifting and climbing restrictions . Are these restrictions and medical issues taken into account?
Maryland uses the AMA 4th edition of the Impairment Rating guides. ask your doctor to go over the criteria.
It is over 500 pages and has much detail.
the physician does the impairment rating including Whole Person Impairment. the comp commission applies the weekly calculation formula according to your states comp laws.
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's