Workers' Compensation Discussion Forums

Full Version: need some help fast
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

My son works in Indiana at a steel mill. He has an injury to his hands as a result of having to wear a certain type of gloves for the heat. His hands started to break out and over a period of about 4-5 months, his hands became very bad. he tried not wearing the gloves directly on his hands but put on cotton gloves under them, but to no avail. They transferred him to a different department until his hands were better. When put back with the gloves his hands became worse again, to the point of an extremely bad bacterial infection had set in. he has been to the Dr. & a dermatologist. He has been off work about a month, with medical notes for his employer. The dermatologist told my son he should quit his job, because his hands would never get better if not. he has testing scheduled for 3 different dates in August to determine what is going on with his hands. He has never had this problem before obtaining this job. When he returned to work today, they sent him home & told him they didnt know what to do with him, weather to keep him or fire him! He wants to file a workmans comp claim. Can he go directly to workmans comp for that or does he have to go through his employer. They are NOT TREATING HIM VERY GOOD NOW!

First concerned mom I would like to welcome you and say that I did read your other post and chose to answer as best I can here. We all try to help immediately IF we can but are all IW.

the procedure in my state is to notify the employer first and then the IW notifies the IC. The employer also , in my state, has a certain time limit to file the claim. Some employers ignore it so it is always best to file it yourself to be sure it's been taken care of. Does your son't employer have their WC IC posted somewhere with a list of Dr.s he needs to see for a certain time limit? Sorry I can't help more but I am only WC savvy with my state's laws. You can go on your state's website to get more info. I'm sure someone with more knowledge will be along soon. In the meantime educate yourself from your own state's info, that can be found right here at the top of the page, notify his employers IC. Don't wait too long , there are time limits on reporting injuries. Wish you the best.

CAP
capricorn Wrote:
Thanks for replying, I guess I am a little short fused, with worring about my son, he & his wife have a new 5 week old baby, and with no income coming in its been real tough & stressful for us all. I will in fact educatate myself with as much info as I can find on Indiana WC law.
Thank You
& God Bless

First concerned mom I would like to welcome you and say that I did read your other post and chose to answer as best I can here. We all try to help immediately IF we can but are all IW.

the procedure in my state is to notify the employer first and then the IW notifies the IC. The employer also , in my state, has a certain time limit to file the claim. Some employers ignore it so it is always best to file it yourself to be sure it's been taken care of. Does your son't employer have their WC IC posted somewhere with a list of Dr.s he needs to see for a certain time limit? Sorry I can't help more but I am only WC savvy with my state's laws. You can go on your state's website to get more info. I'm sure someone with more knowledge will be along soon. In the meantime educate yourself from your own state's info, that can be found right here at the top of the page, notify his employers IC. Don't wait too long , there are time limits on reporting injuries. Wish you the best.

CAP
this post is much better.
Under Indiana law the employer has to report a claim when a worker has been off work at least a day because of a work injury. He should find out if it has been reported; If a claim has already been made up; and who is adjusting it. If the employer doesn't have that information he should contact the insurance company directly.
he can find out what benefits he's entitled to and how the comp system in Indiana works by reviewing the handbook
http://www.in.gov/workcomp/attorneys/han...BK2007.htm
Has your son tried a different kind of gloves for the heat protection? When I do welding at work, I can't wear the common PPE that they provide because i breakout from the insulation, but I found that I CAN wear kevlar lined deerskin gloves, which are insulated with cotton, rather than the fiberglass insulation. And I can handle a freshly welded aluminum part with absolutely no burns. Work reimbursed me for the gloves which are VERY expensive (about $60 a pair) because they needed me to do that job, and it's considered "reasonable accomodation" for the job. Plus they have the added benefit of being softer than the cowhyde gloves they provide, allowing me to do intricate TIG welding, which I can't do with the thick gloves, because I can't feel the rod bottom out in my weld puddle.

Send son to a welding supply store, explain his job and problems with the gloves work provides. They may be able to help him out to find a pair of gloves. Maks sure that he can provide work with NOSH/OSHA certification papers for the gloves or they don't have to let him use them!
Thanks so much for the link.....I needed some quick education....I will finish reading it all..
1171 Wrote:this post is much better.
Under Indiana law the employer has to report a claim when a worker has been off work at least a day because of a work injury. He should find out if it has been reported; If a claim has already been made up; and who is adjusting it. If the employer doesn't have that information he should contact the insurance company directly.
he can find out what benefits he's entitled to and how the comp system in Indiana works by reviewing the handbook
http://www.in.gov/workcomp/attorneys/han...BK2007.htm
you're welcome.
Indiana has an ombudsman program and your son can request their assistance if there is a problem that needs outside help in resolving
http://www.in.gov/icpr/webfile/formsdiv/45442.pdf
Reference URL's