08-19-2009, 11:46 PM
This is a long story.... I am from Texas
My husband was injured at work 3-27-09. He works in the oil field and was advised that he could not return to work until he was back to normal. No light duty available. Well after 6 months injured and completing physical therapy and medications with no help. He was sent for an MRI. 6-11-09 we get the results back.
2 Herniated disc's in Cervial spine and Spinal Stenosis in Thoracic Spine. Coinsidently the very next day he had an appointment with a "Designated Doctor" to establish an impairment rating. the doctor was the first to review these results with us. He determined that he would not be back to MMI until atleast 12-12-09. Advising us that it may never happen.
The treating Physician refers my husband to a Pain Management Dr for Steroid injections. After 6 weeks and 2 doctors being canceled by insurance company because of "not being In Network".
One appointment was canceled the day before due to again not in Network. After confirming that Insurance company did not have ANY doctors approved to do the Epidural Steroid Injections they authorized a 3rd Doctor for 3 appointments. My Husband went for inital visit with Pain Mgmt Dr, 7-24-09 and established that he would be receiving 3x Epidural Steroid Injections, 2 weeks apart.
We receive a letter on 7-25-09, we receive a letter from employer stating that Modified Job was available. Letter dated 7-23-09, mailed 7-24-09 and Certified card was signed 7-25-09(Sat.)
My husband called office 7-27-09 and said that he was interested but had concerns about his restrictions and upcoming Dr. appointments. He was advised by the Safety Dept as well HR that all restrictions would be accepted and Dr. appointments handled. But that the HR dept and the Safety Dept were not available until that Friday 7-31-09 to discuss offer. Fine, so we wait. Friday no meeting. Monday nothing(He has been speaking to both departments atleast every other day).
By 2 weeks later on 8-7-09 he finally gets in contact with his Safety coordinator, who advised that TIB's were canceled because my husband did not accept and begin work within the 2 week time frame. They thought he quit. But, if he came in the safety director would contact his Adjuster first thing Monday morning to correct the problem. Meeting was scheduled for 5, by 6:04pm Safety Director finally showed. My husband explained that he was getting his 1st set of Steroid Injections on 8-10-09. Employer stated to come in on 8-11-09.
8-10-09, Pain Mgmt Dr gives my husband a Dural Puncture, causing a Severe Headache and Nausea, and has to go back into office on 8-11-09 to correct. Employer advised to come to work on Thursday 8-13-09, after release from Pain Mgmt Dr.
NOW... 8-12-09 my husband was admitted into the hospital for Spinal Meningitis. A RARE but serious complication of the Epidural Steroid Injections. After spending 7 days in the hospital and seeing 10 doctors as well having a nurse, literally, outside the door 24 hours a day. He was informed by the Infectious Disease Doctor that he contracted the Spinal (Bacterial) Meningitis Because of the Epidural Steroid Injections. the Pain Mgmt Dr should have taken precautions to make sure that he enviornment was a sterile one. He actually injected his Spinal Cord with his own blood and the bacteria during one of the 2 procedures, and 4 needles in 24 hours.
Now today 8-19-09 he is at home with a PICC line for the next 3 to 6 weeks with intravenious Antibiotics and several other Doctors seeing him for Urology (for inability to relieve bladder fully, another complication of injections), Neurology(to confirm with another MRI that no permanent damage to Spinal cord), and of course Infectious Disease(for treatment).
I tried several times each day to contact his Insurance Adjuster to let her know what was going on from the 8-12 until yesterday 8-18. To find out that she has turned his claim over to an "Indemnity Adjuster"
on 8-18-09. No one from the insurance company has ever called us back and will not take our calls.
My husband was supposed to be sent home with a Home Health Nurse, but was rejected by Insurance Company for not being Necessary, so I am having to administer Intravenious Antibiotics every 12 hours.
In addition, Employer wants to know how this is a part of the Worker's Compensation claim. They even want him to get a release to come back to work in the Mechanics Shop (YUCK, all those germs and stuff) with this PICC line inserted. (incase you did not know, ANYTHING could contaminate the PICC line, its an IV placed in the main artery that goes straight to your Heart.)
I have no clue what to do here I am desparate for assistance. Any guidance would be great, not only is by husband hurt. They are screwing with his pay and now the doctors that they are sending him to are putting him in the hospital for severe and possibly Deadly complications....
Thank you for taking the time to read this, I am so confused I do not know where to turn[/font]