Workers' Compensation Discussion Forums

Full Version: impairment settlement
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
jaspell Wrote:
alex3569 Wrote:I live in arkansas and was injured on the job, ripped rotator cuff and had to have surgery to repair and 4 screws to put tissue back on bone. Dont know what my rating is yet, but has anybody had something like this and what was your rating? Also, how do they come up with the amount for settlement?

The rating varies a lot. I dont know how they rate in Arkansas as I am in Connecticut however I would expect an 18% PPD to the arm if you lived here. The settlement (at least here) is largely related to what permanancy you get in shoulder cases..

Good luck to you. I have completely torn my rotator cuff off the

bone, I have been putting off the surgery as I have been getting by

and here a lot of horror stories about frozen shoulders and all that

stuff. I'm a chicken Smile

No......you are not a chicken....although after open and artheroscopic repair with the torn tendons and after going through 3 manipulations for frozen shoulders regarding the same injury......if your range of motion is very limited and as I.......almost passing out when I moved my arm wrong.....I opted for my Doctor's advice and did the 3 manipulations. Two before he finally did the invasive surgery and one after. I am still limited however.....but it did help the pain a little.
I just had my IME last week and my attorney today on the phone told me to expect a denial for the Carpal Tunnel.......another DUH......although i did not have it nor any symptoms of it prior to the sling after the major surgery......Saif is probably going to say it had nothing to do with the injury. My attorney called the IME Doctor a "whore".......can I say that? He said that IME work for the I/C and they don't give a crap about you....(this Doctor.....if you can call him that......never...NEVER looked me in the eye once.......not once)..they get paid for the "neys" ....not the "Yeahs"........He also told me that in Oregon.....W/C doesn't pay for pain, suffering, depression nor absolute diminished quality of life nor the fact that you can no longer work in your chosen and long term profession.......
We will see about that......as .....I signed up with this attorney.....but ....if he tries to get me to settle for something less .......I will look elsewhere. When you sign with a W/C attorney.....you can legally say......
"I disagree with the settlement and you can let it go at that and get another attorney". I do not intend to be another victim.
Anyway.....having a manipulation for a frozen shoulder isn't that bad....just make sure you get a GREAT anesthesiologist.......as the first one was awful......and he put the needles in my neck before I was sedated and i screamed bloody murder........SOB......the other two manipulations I inquired beforehand about the anesthesiologist and never felt a thing. you have to stand up for yourself........that I have learned to be true.....good luck.
Jacvern,

You just brought back my memories of two facet joint procedures i had in my neck last year with a anethesiologist. He unfortunatly was my old boss. Long story, but he ended up doing the procedure without medication and when he stuck the rods in my neck, he said " excrement". He had not had the inserts to put into them to be able to burn the nerve endings and had to take them out and start all over. Talk about PAIN!!!! I cried so bad that he gave me 50 perc's after and he refuses to give out narcotics. I will NEVER forget that day. Till this day i still feel the pain where he inserted the rods in my neck.

So whoever does have this procedure, make sure you have a good anethesiologist. Needless to say, after the procedure day i went for a follow up, paid my 15 dollar co-pay and pretty much told him where to go!
You will recieve medicare two years from the date Social Security Adminiistration found you disabled.

I was approved for SSD in 6 weeks and SSA found me to be disabled
6 month previous to the date I contacted them.

This means Sept 2008 I will recieve medicare.
In 2001 I tore my rotator cuff, I had surgery on my left shoulder, then the day after surgery my doctor went on vacation for 3 weeks,I started therapy right after but it was too late my shoulder had frozen up.i was scheduled for manipulation a few months later after being released to go back to work 5 weeks after surgery, then wc canceled my surgery because they wanted another opinion, when I went to their doctor he walked in and actually said "hell yeah you need surgery you can't move your arm"So then they scheduled my surgery again,more surgery more therapy, my first surgery was in july of 01, second one in october of 01,then had surgery in 03 on my right shoulder plus carpal tunnel at the same time, just thought i would tell you what happened to me, didn't mean to jump in on your post. But I think if therapy is started right away maybe it will not cause frozen shoulder, tell me if I am wrong please.Halftrak
halftrak Wrote:In 2001 I tore my rotator cuff, I had surgery on my left shoulder, then the day after surgery my doctor went on vacation for 3 weeks,I started therapy right after but it was too late my shoulder had frozen up.i was scheduled for manipulation a few months later after being released to go back to work 5 weeks after surgery, then wc canceled my surgery because they wanted another opinion, when I went to their doctor he walked in and actually said "hell yeah you need surgery you can't move your arm"So then they scheduled my surgery again,more surgery more therapy, my first surgery was in july of 01, second one in october of 01,then had surgery in 03 on my right shoulder plus carpal tunnel at the same time, just thought i would tell you what happened to me, didn't mean to jump in on your post. But I think if therapy is started right away maybe it will not cause frozen shoulder, tell me if I am wrong please.Halftrak

Halftrak,
Just wanted to say that my Orthopedic Surgeon would not put me into therapy until 8 weeks after he did the repair on the "complete rupture of the rotator cuff". He said that I had to remain in the sling/bolster allowing my arm to remain completely without stress for 7 to 8 weeks, day and night. This action is what caused my carpal tunnel which W/C is now fighting. While in the sling I woke up during the night and found sometimes even during the day, my hand was numb. The sling hit me right at my right wrist. The pain in my hand was awful when the sling was finally off. My hand tends to want to curl up and sometimes I even have to push it flat..just to give myself some relief. Getting back to the surgery on my shoulder....being in the sling/bolster that long also gave me another frozen shoulder.....so there I go again........a 3rd manipulation. Sometimes you wonder if they know what they are doing? This Doctor knew I had a tendency to "freeze" because he had just done 2 manipulations before deciding that my tears were not going to heal on their own. I will NEVER be kept bound like that again......hopefully I won't ever need to be.
jacvern
JACKVERN...I am in similar situation as you are. Accepted condition by w/c was carpap tunnel/tendonytis and trigger fingers(thumbs) on both hand. Had to stop working while waited for my last surgery and employer fired me. I developed trigger fingers on rest of fingers while staying home and also have shoulder/arm pain. W/C sent me for two IME's and they decided new condition not accepted because I was not working. My doctor stated they are related to original injury and it makes sense. Hands are weaker due to injury and I still have to use them for everyday living. I just got an attorney not long ago and now we appealed, but I am without treatment for a year now because w/c did not authorize. I am trying not to get hooked on pain medication, so I am not taking them at all, so I pretty much stopped doing anything in fear of pain. I only walk/hike with my dog, it helps.
I also applied for SSDI and I got denied, so I will appeal that one also. My atty trying to get authorization from w/c to get treated for depression also, but now my caseworker won't even respond to any letter or request.
Doesn't it seem like shoulder injuries also causes many other ailments such as tendonitis, carpal tunnel,I now have pain in both elbows and my right arm is locking up,I had surgery on my left shoulder twice,Once on my right and carpal tunnel on my right wrist,Eventually I will probably have to have more surgery,In January I am going to a brand new ortho.Maybe he will be more up to date on these things.I am finished with wc for over a year now, just like everyone else tired of hurting every day.Have a great Day, Halftrak
halftrak Wrote:Doesn't it seem like shoulder injuries also causes many other ailments such as tendonitis, carpal tunnel,I now have pain in both elbows and my right arm is locking up,I had surgery on my left shoulder twice,Once on my right and carpal tunnel on my right wrist,Eventually I will probably have to have more surgery,In January I am going to a brand new ortho.Maybe he will be more up to date on these things.I am finished with wc for over a year now, just like everyone else tired of hurting every day.Have a great Day, Halftrak
Halftrak..........yes it certainly does seem that shoulder injuries cause many other problems.......kind of like a train wreck......
besides the neck problems and the carpal tunnel.......I have also develped hard knots in my right hand (all of my problems are on the right side and I am right handed). One Doctor said these knots are not related and yet I never had them until I was kept bound by the bolster/sling after the extensive shoulder surgery. They cause great discomfort and I am always rubbing my palm........ How can they prossibly say all of this is not related to the surgery? Hey......you have a great day also.........and I hope your pain level improves.....
jacvern

HAPPY THANKSGIVING EVERYONE !
I also have shoulder trouble due to carpal recurrance, and protecting my arm for two months while wearing a brace and working light duty. I was protecting it so much that my shoulder froze up, and i had to go to therapy for 7 months, 4x's a week. I am currently back to work almost 2 months now and i am still having trouble with my shoulder/hand. I drop things, have no strength to even brush or blow dry my hair, being my dominant hand. When i type, i have to stop alot and go get a coffee, etc.

I have a TENS unit my insurance co. purchased for me to use at home. I used it yesterday for about a half hour and it helps tremendously. I even wear it typing. If you can get your ortho doctor or therapist to suggest to your ic to get you one for home, it would be great to have when in pain.
Aren't shoulder problems fun?? It sucks!
2 years after, I'm still washing my hair one handed, can't shave under the bad arm (gross), have difficult time using deodorant under it but do get it done. TP duties are a real joy!! as is putting on clothing (like bra)
cooking with heavy pots & pans, controlling the dog! Attempting to run the vacuum...you name it....it's a struggle. and especially if it's your dominant arm! Personally, I'm very sick of it...everything , down to opening a jar is such a struggle and is so painful. My clothes don't fit right etc. Now I guess my body stature (bad shoulder is way higher) is effecting my back too, as it is almost worse that the shoulder!
Lilly
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Reference URL's