Workers' Compensation Discussion Forums

Full Version: Return to work letter!!! Not recovered yet.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Dont know if anyone remembers my story so briefly. I was injured in 4/10 tripping at work,off till 8/10 receiving PT and pain managment shot in SI Joint that worked after many other attempted areas. Successful epidural shot in SIjoint relieved pain and most refured pain down rt leg. Went back to work per my request to try at begining of school year. Lasted 3 weeks and pain was too much to bare and rt leg pain was back. Tingling, prickling, numbness, temp change .... Everything was back. Went to new dr and he gave me restrictions of 15lb weight limit, minimal stooping,bending,twisting, no crawling and must change positions several times a day. I am a teacher for PA pre-k counts and that is my job with 15 children aged 3-5. Reported that to work and they said they are unable to accomodate my restrictions and I was to remain off. Wc ins comp sent me for IME and my Dr sent me for EMG and nerve conduction test as well as a FCE to whihh I have not heard any results back. Follow up on Dec 27th. Ok so now today I receive a letter from work stating that they have heard from the wc ins comp that My injury has been resolved and I am to return to work on Monday dec 6th.
WHAT??? my dr has not lifted his restrictions and I have not heard a thing from the ins comp. Can the IME dr lift the restrictions and send me back or does it have to be my treating dr? And they are saying that my injury is fully resolved which it is not. I am barely able to sit, walk, stand for more then 15-20 min at a time without chqnging positions, on heavy dose pain meds, and can barely take care of my own 2 children let alone 15 for 7 hrs and then come home and do whats needed of me. Uhg. Anyone been through this? I have appointment w attny in morning. Do you think i am gonna have to go back to work come monday or can we fight it and I wont have to go during appeal? Any help please.
sure.
any doctor can provide medical evidence; all doctors don't have to agree.
that's the whole point of getting an IME.
you can stay out of work and fight it, but they don't have to pay disability until there's a legal decision or a settlement.
And now they are no longer paying for my medications either. Just tried to pick up meds and they denied it. Wonderful. The IME dr asked more questions then did any physical. Nothing has changed this is all crap. What am I suppose to do now? Go back and risk hurting more? Or stay out n fight and get no money? Either way even if I went back I wldnt get a pay till end of January. What a lovely christmas present to me.
Did the IME doctor give you work restrictions?

I worked as an Early Childhood Teacher when I was injured, working with the 3-5 yr population. My previous job was working as a compliance officer for the state ensuring schools & centers met accrediation standards & licensing requirements.

The standard job description for a ECH teacher is: frequent bending, kneeling, squatting, with occasional lifting up to 100 lbs.

In order for me to work in my profession I must pass a physical required by the Kansas Health & Enviroment Board. This is a requirement of every state for teachers who work with students in a center or school.

The school where I worked also requires I pass a physical per their accrediation standards.

If an employee is unable to pass the physical and works in the classroom the school or center is a risk of loosing their license and accrediation.
Bummer Knees Wrote:Did the IME doctor give you work restrictions?

I worked as an Early Childhood Teacher when I was injured, working with the 3-5 yr population. My previous job was working as a compliance officer for the state ensuring schools & centers met accrediation standards & licensing requirements.

The standard job description for a ECH teacher is: frequent bending, kneeling, squatting, with occasional lifting up to 100 lbs.

In order for me to work in my profession I must pass a physical required by the Kansas Health & Enviroment Board. This is a requirement of every state for teachers who work with students in a center or school.

The school where I worked also requires I pass a physical per their accrediation standards.

Yes and this is why when my dr gave me the restrictions they said they were unable to accomodate because like you that is the physical requirements of my job to which I am unable to do now due to injury. When I left the IME he verbally said the dr restrictions made sense but I have heard absolutely nothing from the IME or the insurance company. The letter was directly from my employer.
If an employee is unable to pass the physical and works in the classroom the school or center is a risk of loosing their license and accrediation.
Do you have an attorney?

You need to work on getting your medical records and see what is in them.

My employer sent me a similar letter, "We regret we are unable to accomodate due to your work restriction" Been on medical leave since 2006.

Honestly, I do not want to be working in a classroom where a child might be injured due to not being able to preform the physical requirements of my job.

A teacher is responsible for a student's safety in their classroom.
the comp court and the system does not look favorably on those who don't try to return to work.
if you try to return and can't that's a lot more understandable then being a "no show".
benefits can be always be restarted if it doesn't work out.
Tim Belt is on this board and is a Pennsylvania practicing work comp atty and may have some other practical suggestions.
1171 from what I am reading she tried to return to work but her employer refuses to work her due to her work restrictions.

Timothy Belt

In PA the IC can not legitimately stop paying on an accepted claim without a judge's decision or an agreement. 1171 is right that it is a good idea to either try the position or if you have reason to believe the attempting the offered position would worsen your condition you can provide the employer with the restrictions of your treating doctor and ask if they can accommodate those restrictions. If the matter is litigated, the judge will have to decide which doctor he finds more believable, and that could go either way.

1171 Wrote:the comp court and the system does not look favorably on those who don't try to return to work.
if you try to return and can't that's a lot more understandable then being a "no show".
benefits can be always be restarted if it doesn't work out.
Tim Belt is on this board and is a Pennsylvania practicing work comp atty and may have some other practical suggestions.
Ok so heres whats happened.
Injury in 4/10- off till 8/10, released to return full duty after successfull ESI into si joint. Worked 3 weeks and then off again due to return of symptoms in 9/10. Dr placed restrictions and I attempted to return but work said unable to accomodate restrictions. Sent to IME by WC ins. Have not heard a thing from the insurance company. Received a letter yesterday from Employer stating I am to return back to full duties on Monday. Spoke w attorney today and he advised I do not return pending their ability to provide a position within my restrictions or notice from WC ins. saying ability to return full duty based on IME report. Which we plan on fighting because all testing, w exception of MRI point, to an issue they have just been unable to pinpoint a diagnosis. Attorney said that if I was to return to work based on their request benefits would end and if I was to become off work again due to same injury it would become my duty to prove injury and I would then have to prove it was resulted from that which during I would not be paid and they could fight. By staying off work and refusing to return based on my treating drs opinion of proper restrictions it becomes their burden to prove that those restrictions are un neccessary and that I am able to return full duty. Which would then be taken in front of a judge and like someone said previously the judge would then decide who has shown more evidence to support their claim and if restrictions are indeed appropriate. If so my employer has already stated that my position does not have any form of light duty so its full duty or no position to return to.
I am also now scheduling an appointment with an orthopedic surgeon who hopefully will look into my hip area and SI Joint for the issue and not focus directly on my back. Which is where everyone has been looking at thus far. I think its SI Joint/Hip area that I have injured and it is giving the same symptoms as a disc issue. But idk I am not a dr.
Does this sound like the right course of action?
I know deep down that I cannot do my job full duty without hurting myself or possibly a child. I can barely take care of my household. If they would find the right place im injured and fix it, I would gladley return to work as I love my job and do miss being in the classroom.
Starting to feel like this is all in my head and getting very depressed over it.
Thanks for letting me rant.
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's