Workers' Compensation Discussion Forums

Full Version: Do i HAVE to go to an IME if requested? (this is in Wisconsin)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I've been reading so many horrible things online about IME's and how they're for the insurance company and not the worker. I have been seeing the same doctor who did my rotator cuff surgery nearly 5 yrs ago, and now that I've reinjured my shoulder on the job, this has turned into a WC case. I've been doing everything the doctor has said, going throuh physical therapy now for nearly 4 months and I really don't like the idea of an IME exam just to have them say I'm fine, although I'm not, and have everything take a nose-dive. I see my doctor on 9/16 again and W/C said that if he talks surgery, then they may want me to go to an IME. Do I have to? Can I say no. I've thought about talking with my HR department, because believe it or not, they've actually fought for me with some of the arguments WC has had with me such as leaving work for PT, etc. My HR rep told them I have no choice with our work schedule BUT to leave work to go to these appointments. I don't want this to turn into a big brawl out fight with the WC company...any suggestions....PLEASE...
Sorry I don't your state rules for sure but I'm pretty sure if they want you to go see this doctor you have to go. Remember he is only looking at you and not treating you so it's pretty hard to say no. Yes most IME seem to me nothing more then a way the company say you don't need something. Just don't give up if this guys says something you don't like because that is what they are trying to get you to do. Be careful when you think your HR department is on your side because if it comes down to a fight I bet I know which side they will be on. It's great if they do provide you with some help but be careful
yes. each side gets to have their evidence. you have yours and they are entitled to theirs. they can suspend your comp benefits if you don't allow them let them get their medical evidence.
they are also entitled to follow you and take your sworn deposition.
the legal system protects the rights of both parties.
workers comp is voluntary; you don't have to accept the benefits.
dobiqueenx2,
I am also from wisconsin, and as 1171 said they are entitled to thier medical oppinion as well. I have had an 3 fce's and 1 IME and all times has showed favorable to me.. I dont know your carier but I have not had a bad time so far in 3 years. Do you have a lawyer or are you going through this alone..?? I hope you have a good ime dr and if not it may lead to you going to a lawyer......
bronco54501 Wrote:dobiqueenx2,
I am also from wisconsin, and as 1171 said they are entitled to thier medical oppinion as well. I have had an 3 fce's and 1 IME and all times has showed favorable to me.. I dont know your carier but I have not had a bad time so far in 3 years. Do you have a lawyer or are you going through this alone..?? I hope you have a good ime dr and if not it may lead to you going to a lawyer......

No, no lawyer as they've been paying everything so far and anything they've wined about, such as leaving work 1 1/2 hrs earlier than scheduled to go to PT, my HR department told them I had no choice. Only thing they didn't devalge was that I get mileage going to and from appointments related to my injury, which if I hadn't asked, I wouldn't have gotten. I'm just nervous after reading a LOT online where the IME says there's nothing wrong with the person, etc. I found one website that says when you find out who the IME is, ask for their credentials, such as what % of their patients have my type of injury or do they work with, etc, AND take someone along. I already told my husband he's going with me as a witness to the examination and I've seen on here where that some people have gone in & they've had signs that no one else is allowed in the room. I'd tell them right out that if my husband cannot come in with me, I won't go through the exam and I'll tell the case worker this in advance so they are aware he's going along with.
I'm going to repeat what I have said on another Thread to you here;

You know I am going to change what I been saying for many years about bringing a Friend or Family member to an IME, as a witness.

I've been learning that the best witness, is to have ones Attorney pay a Nurse to go with you. If you don't have an Attorney, find a Service in your area that has Nurse Service and Pay one to go with you. Get all their information certifications, and License copy, plus contact numbers for later date use. Then if there are problems the Nurse can be place in a Deposition, or write a report for you, testify for you.

I now ask anyone, how many times has their friend or Family member ever been Depo? For I have yet in all my years with dealing with people in a work comp case, ever seen, or heard a witness (Friend or Family) be Depo.

How to dis-credit a IME is to have a Great Witness. Only other witness would be best is a Doctor, but that isn't going to happen.

http://www.disabilityclaimssolutions.com...rticle.pdf
May need to expand to 100% to read the link when it is opened.
Yes, you have to go to the IME. read the letter, as it should state if you don't go, you will have to pay for the IME out of your pocket. I'm sure you don't want to pay that very high Medical Bill do you?

Your HR department has little to do with their Insurance when the Insurance wishes a second or third medical opinion from their own doctor called an IME.

I suggest you bring with you, X-rays, or MRI's with you, plus those reports, that support your new injury.
Bad Boy Bad Boy Wrote:Yes, you have to go to the IME. read the letter, as it should state if you don't go, you will have to pay for the IME out of your pocket. I'm sure you don't want to pay that very high Medical Bill do you?

Your HR department has little to do with their Insurance when the Insurance wishes a second or third medical opinion from their own doctor called an IME.

I suggest you bring with you, X-rays, or MRI's with you, plus those reports, that support your new injury.

There is no letter received yet, she just verbally told me if my doctor states that surgery is our next option, they MAY request I go an IME.
Okay, then I say to you, is that you can't worry about anything Verbal, for it means nothing. Just go about things the way you have been, and take it day by day. When you get a letter then you make a choice of what too then do. Like I said, it is better to take a Nurse with you. Have it on record they are present.
Bad Boy Bad Boy Wrote:I'm going to repeat what I have said on another Thread to you here;

You know I am going to change what I been saying for many years about bringing a Friend or Family member to an IME, as a witness.

I've been learning that the best witness, is to have ones Attorney pay a Nurse to go with you. If you don't have an Attorney, find a Service in your area that has Nurse Service and Pay one to go with you. Get all their information certifications, and License copy, plus contact numbers for later date use. Then if there are problems the Nurse can be place in a Deposition, or write a report for you, testify for you.

I now ask anyone, how many times has their friend or Family member ever been Depo? For I have yet in all my years with dealing with people in a work comp case, ever seen, or heard a witness (Friend or Family) be Depo.

How to dis-credit a IME is to have a Great Witness. Only other witness would be best is a Doctor, but that isn't going to happen.

http://www.disabilityclaimssolutions.com...rticle.pdf
May need to expand to 100% to read the link when it is opened.

Well, I'm sorry to say that there's no way I can afford to pay someone to go with me such as a nurse or attorney, etc. From what I've read online websites advising what to do if you are made to go to an IME and a few attorneys have advised that you take someone who is "ballsy" and will say something to the IME if they can tell the exam is hurting the patient, etc. I will also have my husband take notes on all that is said. I'm not worried about depo's now, just getting my shoulder fixed & back to normal.
Pages: 1 2 3
Reference URL's