Workers' Compensation Discussion Forums

Full Version: Shoulder Surgery 5 mos. Ago, Now Severe Elbow Pain
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I live in California. I had shoulder surgery on my left shoulder in February. In June, my left elbow is in severe pain. I mentioned it to my doctor on my visit; she took a quick look, said something like maybe a little tendonitis. It's been over a month and the elbow is still in the same amount of pain.

I'm not sure how to handle this. This is all new to me. Should I call the claims adjuster or call the doctor to set up a new appointment? or since this is an elbow and not a shoulder on the same arm, can I just use my private insurance?

My job has been eliminated and I will be released from my job when my doctor releases me back full duty and I will loose my medical insurance a short time after I'm laid off.

I know I have a big problem on this elbow now. I've been doing heavy lifting for over 25 years.

I feel kind of shy telling my doctor but I will be real mad at myself if I'm laid off and I don't say anything about my elbow while I'm out on work-related shoulder surgery and then loose my job and health insurance because I did not speak up.

If the doctor does a shoulder surgery and then has an elbow problem does that cause them a problem not having a successful case?

Thanks
Kevin
I wonder if during surgery a nerve was damaged? I'm surprised the doctor didn't order an EMG. (I think that is what it is called when you have a nerve study) Maybe the doctor still will if you say something at your next appt.

Sorry you're in pain, Kevin....
I think my Dr. Is going to cut me loose an return me to full duty. One thing there is no work to go back to the group was cut two months ago.

IF I sent back to full duty with a elbow problem I will only have Med. Insure. for a short time. Not sure if this is part of the shoulder.

Every thing was going good had over 24 p/t then I elbow started pain bad after the weight was added to p/t.

I could see the Dr. brushing it off. I am sure they here this stuff all the time.

Should I call the nurse ahead of time... Not sure if I should use my med insure. since the shoulder feels good an elbow hurts when I make a fist.

I am getting scared I know I have a problem an if I do not say anything an lose my health in. I am stuck
you neglected to ask the doctor if it was related to the original work injury and if so to put it in their report to the carrier.
discuss it with the doctor.
if it is an aggravation outside of work or a non-work injury you and your doctor can handle it thru regular heath insurance.
your doctor has to make the call.
Thanks for all your replies. I have a strange question, I guess. I'm just a heavy freight loader all my life and this is all new to me.

I had about 6 procedures done on my shoulder. About 5 months out after the physical therapy was increased and I had a 5, 10, 15 pound weight limit, it's started to have much pain and it is not going away, it's been about 6 weeks. I think this is something that happened after the surgery but I'm not a doctor, so I don't know.
I have a really good surgeon and I don't want to cause any problems and I can tell they just want to fix me up and send me back to work without problems from the injured worker.

On a shoulder surgery, does that involve any muscles below the elbow?

One thing I noticed being on worker's comp, if you say the wrong thing and don't follow the rules exactly there might be problems. Sometimes I get letters saying I have 10, 15 days to respond. So the claims adjuster know what they're doing and that injured worker has to figure it out on the run.

Here's what's scaring me: if I tell my doctor and it's not included on worker's comp case and then the doctor waits 2, 3 or 4 months and I loose health coverage I will be stuck.

If this is not cover under worker's comp and it is documented and then it doesn't get fixed under my health care and then I loose my job, will this be a pre-existing condition and will never get treatment unless I pay out of pocket?

My doctor does not know that my job is gone when I'm released most likely in a week or two. Do people tell there Dr. this stuff.. I think there job is to fix the body part not involved in the other stuff.

I hope I didn't ramble on too much. Here's what I hope to have done but it's my body and their money.

Either keep it going under worker's comp and have it repaired
Have it repaired under my health coverage while I'm under worker's comp and before I loose my health care.

This doctor stuff is all new to me. With the economy, the way it is, do people tell doctors that they're losing their job and need to speed everything up? Or do the doctors do conservative treatments and then surgery after that with private insurance? By that time, I have no insurance.

Thanks
Kevin
California

First of all, you must do, is you simply ask the treating Doctor / Surgeon, to why you have nevr had a problem with your elbow, till after you had this injury, but mostly, never had a problem, till after the surgery. Then you ask them, what they can do to help you with this problem, as the pain is begging you for some relief. Not tomorrow, but, relief now.

It seems the problems are related, and that is what you need to address right now.

Next, your doctor has no control over your employment. Nor will they really care, as your there for medical treatment not employment issues. Would you be able to get a doctor to speed things up? I doubt it, as medical treatment takes time. Speeding it up will not help. Anyways, even if speed-up did take place, the Work Comp system is slow, so it has no benefit.

Muscles and such; Yes, Muscles all connect, even Nerves and Tendons.

What you need to know is, you just a number to all in your case, nothing more then a number. All these people in your case will sleep well at night, even when you don't sleep. That keeps them from going insane.
doctors are very important in deciding which benefits are needed, when, and how long.
yes, you need to give your doctor information on your job status and any changes in your working conditions. there are light work options depending on the situation and how the recovery is going.
I definitely agree with your point and we don't know the truth. It is better if you go with your doctor for the consultation. In order to know the reason and its cause.
Acecale Wrote:
Broken Wing Wrote:I wonder if during surgery a nerve was damaged? I'm surprised the doctor didn't order an EMG. (I think that is what it is called when you have a nerve study) Maybe the doctor still will if you say something at your next appt.

I definitely agree with your point and we don't know the truth. It is better if you go with your doctor for the consultation. In order to know the reason and what it cause.

Hi everybody,

California....

Thanks for all of your replies. My shoulder surgery went good. I'm a happy camper with that part. Five months into my rehab when my weight limit was increased to 20 lbs., one of my exercises was standing straight with a 20 lb weight in a milk crate and lifting it from my waist to my chin. While I was doing that 6 weeks ago, I felt some nerve or something in my elbow/forearm not feel right. I knew I was in big trouble right then. When I mentioned it to my doctor, said probably tendonitis. I know it's something different than that but I didn't say anything.

I'm going back to the doctor Tuesday morning and I am more than likely going to be released full duty. My shoulder feels good and my elbow/forearm is in constant pain. I'm not sure I can get to the day lifting heavy freight with my elbow now. I know I have been out of work long enough for my shoulder to heal. I feel stuck.

This injury happened 5 months post operation. Does anyone know what the standard operating procedure would be for someone that has an injury on the same arm and different part?

When I make a fist or turn a screwdriver move or a curl like up an down there is pain.

I'm thinking of not saying anything and being released back to work. Or asking the nurse if I can use my private insurance. I've never really been to the doctor and I feel intimidated when I'm in their office.

I'm going to the doctor Tuesday morning. If anyone has advise or words or encouragement?

Keven
krl Wrote:
Acecale Wrote:
Broken Wing Wrote:I wonder if during surgery a nerve was damaged? I'm surprised the doctor didn't order an EMG. (I think that is what it is called when you have a nerve study) Maybe the doctor still will if you say something at your next appt.

I definitely agree with your point and we don't know the truth. It is better if you go with your doctor for the consultation. In order to know the reason and what it cause.

Hi everybody,

California....

Thanks for all of your replies. My shoulder surgery went good. I'm a happy camper with that part. Five months into my rehab when my weight limit was increased to 20 lbs., one of my exercises was standing straight with a 20 lb weight in a milk crate and lifting it from my waist to my chin. While I was doing that 6 weeks ago, I felt some nerve or something in my elbow/forearm not feel right. I knew I was in big trouble right then. When I mentioned it to my doctor, said probably tendonitis. I know it's something different than that but I didn't say anything.

I'm going back to the doctor Tuesday morning and I am more than likely going to be released full duty. My shoulder feels good and my elbow/forearm is in constant pain. I'm not sure I can get to the day lifting heavy freight with my elbow now. I know I have been out of work long enough for my shoulder to heal. I feel stuck.

This injury happened 5 months post operation. Does anyone know what the standard operating procedure would be for someone that has an injury on the same arm and different part?

When I make a fist or turn a screwdriver move or a curl like up an down there is pain.

I'm thinking of not saying anything and being released back to work. Or asking the nurse if I can use my private insurance. I've never really been to the doctor and I feel intimidated when I'm in their office.

I'm going to the doctor Tuesday morning. If anyone has advise or words or encouragement?

Keven

I am still here!!

Anyone have any info or advice on happens when someone re hurts them self 5 months post op. If you are hurt an it is time to go back to work. what happens.. What happens if it hurts to much I lift boxes all day I know my for arm is not ready but I had shoulder surgery.

Thanks
Keven
Pages: 1 2 3
Reference URL's