Workers' Compensation Discussion Forums

Full Version: FCE -and dominate arm injury- **Help**
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
[font=Verdana][color=#800080]
Hi, my name is Sharon and I injured my right arm- dominate limb- by being dragged by a pit bull. It has been two years since the work related injury which was in California. I had surgery in January as a last ditch effort to help relieve the pain. I believe the surgery actually made it worse.

My workers comp. Doctor just sent me to have an FCE (I believe that is what it is called) What should I expect now? I don't have an attorney because I feel I don't need one at this time.

My main question is this: Has anyone had a similar injury on their dominate arm and what was the outcome of it? I had NO in discrepancies with the FCE test. What should I expect next?

Thank you- thank you to anyone that can help me with more info.

Sharon
aka- Broken Wing
Strange question, as you ask about what to expect during an FCE, then you said you had no discrepancies with the FCE test? So if you peformed it, it is then done and over.

Wait for the report, see what it states.
Bad Boy Bad Boy Wrote:Strange question, as you ask about what to expect during an FCE, then you said you had no discrepancies with the FCE test? So if you peformed it, it is then done and over.

Wait for the report, see what it states.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bad Boy, I didn't mean what should I expect during the test, I meant what I should expect now. Just wanted to clarify that for you. If there were no discrepancies with the test can my work comp claims adjuster disregard it and not use the findings or will they use the information to try to settle my claim?

Thanks for answering and I hope this additional info. cleared the confusion a bit....

Sharon
very strange situation....
are you sure you have a california claim?
california does not use Functional Capacity Exams.
physicians perform impairment ratings under the AMA guides; FCEs have no legal use and most carriers won't pay for them or use them.

you might be confused and are using the wrong term.
what was the purpose of the exam?
who performed it?
what was the result?
do you have a copy?
have you discussed it with your doctor?
what does your doctor say about your current treatment status?
what more treatment is planned?
I agree with 1171 on the State issue also.

An FCE is like who order it, and then why?

An FCE can be used for many things;

1. To see if you progressed in treatment
2. To see where you may now fit in the work field
3. a use for PT once again to see if your can now function using both arms, and in what fashion as to one arm helping the other

If you have the report, what does it say, at the top of the report, in the report, purpose of the FCE. It should be there somewhere.

Term FCE incorrect? Recheck that.
1171 Wrote:very strange situation....
are you sure you have a california claim?
california does not use Functional Capacity Exams.
physicians perform impairment ratings under the AMA guides; FCEs have no legal use and most carriers won't pay for them or use them.

you might be confused and are using the wrong term.
what was the purpose of the exam?
who performed it?
what was the result?
do you have a copy?
have you discussed it with your doctor?
what does your doctor say about your current treatment status?
what more treatment is planned?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Opp's~ The injury occurred in California but I had to move to another state a year in to my injury.~(Nevada)~ I found another workers comp. doctor- He did the surgery and he also requested the FCE test and my California Claims adjuster approved it. Wow! I am surprised that my work comp adjuster even approved it...

The test was preformed at a physical therapy office by someone that specialized in doing the computer FCE's.

Before test began, I had my blood pressure taken and a belt put around my chest to read my pulse thru-out the procedure/test.

The person doing the test told me that it was very sensitive and that if things weren't making sense or there were contradictions with the results the computer would tell him. What I was getting from that was that if I were "faking" the computer would pick up on it and "call me out" basically. At the end of the testing- I asked if there were any discrepancy with the findings and the person doing the test said No. Everything was consistent.

I go and see my doctor in about a week for the results and to see what happens next.
FCE's done with computer use, print out a report at the end of the test, you did ask for a copy correct? If not, go get one.

OKAY, so what State then is handling your work comp claim since you moved to another State?

California or Nevada
Nothing happens usually, an FCE is simply a statement of your current functional ability at the time of the test. It may be used in return to work planning; i.e. you can work up to the limitations of the FCE so go get a job and get off the dole basically.
Functional Capacity Evaluation (FCE) is apparently the latest euphemism for what used to be laughably called an Independent Medical Examination (IME) and it's a tool used by the insurance industry to uncover fraudulent claims. I use the word "laughably" because the whole insurance industry was in on the joke that there was nothing independent about IMEs that the insurance companies paid for.

In many cases an FCE can confirm the diagnoses of your own physicians and accurately calculate the extent of one's disability.

However, make no mistake, IMEs and FCEs were created by and for the insurance industry as tools to be used in defense against claims.

Not looking to scare you, just to educate you.

So, here are some places to review FCE information;

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/A+critical...a021078656

http://www.mcleancountyorthopedics.com/page/FCE.aspx

A company that touts its FCE as providing "scientifically sound, legally defensible solutions to problems concerning return-to-work questions". "Legally defensible" means that when an insurance uses it to deny benefits, the insurance company wins in court.

Souldn't be any doubt that the FCE is a tool of the insurance industry.

Which is why I suggest you be as vocal as possible in relaying your reactions to the examiner.
objective functional impairment

http://www.commitmentpt.com/newsletter/Issue2Vol10.pdf

Here is what is said to be the purpose of an FCE...

What is the purpose of the FCE?

In general, the purpose of FCE is to collect information about the functional
limitations of a person with medical impairment. Beyond this general purpose, FCE has three specific purposes:
1- Improve the likelihood that the patient will be safe in subsequent job task performance.
2- Assist the patient to improve role performance through identification of functional decrements so that they may be resolved or worked around.
3- Determine the presence (and, if present, the degree) of disability so that a bureaucratic or juridical entity can assign, apportion, or deny financial and medical disability benefits.

Who Should be Referred?

Individuals who have reached maximum medical improvement and are awaiting impairment rating and case closure, Individuals who need their function quantified prior to vocational job search and return to work, Individuals who have long standing cases that for various reasons have not had resolution and Individuals who have a history of subjective complaints without objective findings.
Pages: 1 2 3
Reference URL's